bio pellet reactor bacteria bloom sps ok?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ddubya, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

I started using a Nextreef media reactor with np biopellets 3 days ago, I wake up thismorning and my whole tank is very cloudy. After doing some research that I missed before the purchase I found that it can/will cause a bacteria bloom. So are my corals ok? Should I do a few small water changes? Will my SPS have a harder time surviving this than my lps/zoas? Or am I about to have a tank crash? never had 1 before so im very worried at this point.

2. Click Here!

3. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Almost forgot but most importantly are my fish gonna be ok?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The most significant issue is lack of O2. If you have a good skimmer, and good gas exchange this shouldn't be an issue. You could add an airstones or such as a precaution though.

5. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

gonna add a 2nd skimmer now

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also, I doubt water changes will help much and if the water is not well aerated, could reduce O2 more. Running the reactor effluent through some GAC could help reduce DOC, which could help. Also, could cut back on BP if it continues to be an issue.

7. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Ok just added a 2nd skimmer to get some more Co2 flowing and skimming, any idea if my corals/fish will have affects from this?

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I guess it's possible it could drive pathogenic bacteria, but I really doubt it. This just dosn't seem to be a common issue as far as anyone has reported... Really as long as O2 is high enough, it shouldn't negatively effect anything. May provide some extra coral food though :)

10. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Well im abit relieved now btw I only did 1/3 of the dose as reccomended on the biopelelts jic anyone in the future has this problem i'll post response of how long it took etc...

11. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

Wait are you adding CO2 or O2? CO2 may drive the oxygen level even lower. Maybe typo...not sure?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah definately when you start using biopellets you need to use 1/3 to 1/2 of the regular dose of pellets for the first week or so. Afterwards you can slowly increase to full dose. I WISH the directions would tell people that, but definately very common to cause a bacterial bloom with initiation of pellets.

The bacteria bloom isnt that big of deal, just watch the o2 levels. Check your pH level as they can cause some rise in the pH.

Are your pellets "bubbling" in the reactor. That is one of the most important things to remember with the use of biopellets, otherwise they can produce gas that can cause problems