Bio-Balls

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PittsburghReefTank12, Apr 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I use seachem matrix, but that's just me. I removed my bioballs within the first month of having my tank.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's another good choice as well. Carib sea makes nice rock rubble too. You can buy live rock that's cured and break them up so you have some biological filtration immediately.

cody3819 likes this.
  4. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Ok I have some filter media that I have and definitely try to use it with the Bio-Balls. Thank you so much for the help :)

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Your welcome, any more questions just ask. Good thing about this hobby is were constantly learning.

cody3819 likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, I thought the advice was to NOT use the BioBalls,

IMO, I wouldn't use any filter media either, unless you change it at lease 3 times a week!

Reef On People

7. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Bioballs get a bad rap. The issue with them is that most people forget about them and they become a detritus trap. Also people do not use them correctly all the time. They do require maintenance, and that is the issue

Bioballs have a huge surface area for bacteria to colonize on. Generally, IIRC, you are supposed to run them with at least half of them above the water in a drip-trickle type of setup, the other half submerged (or out of the water also, can't recall).

The prior advice of pre-filter pad is applicable, it helps, but doesn't completely prevent detritus buildup.

The key is occasional vigorous cleaning. Take tank water and place 1-2 gallons in a 5g bucket, then fill 1/2 with bioballs. Cover with a good seal and shake it well. Pour out the water, add more tank water, seal and shake again, then put back in the system. Probably once every month, 2 months max I think.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with turbo, bio balls are fine if your maintenance is consistent. As far as mechanical filtration goes as long as your bioload is low then you shouldn't have to rinse it until your water change. That will help keep a lot of detritus from getting to the bio balls. In my wife's tank I use a filter pad then a sponge that goes on top of a bed, I cut it to fit, then rock rubble. Detritus never makes it to the rubble. I rinse the filter pad and sponge every month. Nitrates don't even read on a test kit in her tank. I'm very strict with maintenance and water changes as I've been doing them every Saturday for years. She has a 55 gallon and the trickle sump holds 15 gallons. I change out a total of 15 gallons weekly. Her bioload is low so that helps. I feed daily, sometimes twice with frozen (LRS) and there is absolutely no issues with nitrates or algae. Her tank also has no skimmer.

Turbo's Aquatics likes this.
  10. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Thank you so much for the help :) Definitely going to clean the Bio balls tommrow at the waterchange and take all the good advice that you gave me. Thank you so much :);)

DSC reef likes this.