Bio-Balls

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PittsburghReefTank12, Apr 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

I was wondering of I should remove my Bio-Balls in the back of my aquarium. I think this maybe causing my super high nitrates in my tank. Could this be the problem? My Nitrates are still super high around 40 I know it might take a couple months to drop but I was hoping to see a little change. Any help is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Remove and replace with rock rubble. Water changes will help get your nitrates down.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Whatever you chose to do make sure that it's not a detritus trap where the bio balls are. Do water changes every week to get nitrates down.

Armydog likes this.
  5. PittsburghReefTank12

So Ive been reading about cleaning the Bio-Balls (which ive never have :() I want to clean them but im worried its going to crash my system. Will it crash it? And how should I properly clean them?

6. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

Imo I'd get rid of the bioballs.

Is your tank a biocube?

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If you have live rock in your tank then I wouldn't worry about crashing your tank. On the next water change take the bio balls out and rinse them in salt water that you removed from your tank. Replace them with live rock rubble or keep the bio balls but just make sure you have some kind of filter pad to help keep out the detritus.

8. Click Here!

9. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

I was gonna suggest the intank media basket and make it a fuge

10. PittsburghReefTank12

Im going to stay cheap :). I will rince the bio balls off next water change. If I was going to add filter media what kind should I add and where should I add it.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not sure about your setup but some type of filter pad before the bio balls would help. You must rinse it weekly with water changes. When I used bio balls I rinsed them every month. Just remember, any type of detritus or food that most are concerned with in there tank display will cause the same issues in the filter compartment if it gets out of hand.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I'd really push switching to live rock rubble, along with a filter pad before them. This way you won't have to rinse the bio balls every week which becomes a huge pain.

DSC reef likes this.