Big plans

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jeremy, Feb 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey all!

hows everyone doin? i built me a stand! im putting a draw to hold food and test kits etc.. and im also putting in a shelf to put a refugium in. the refugium will be a little over 1 foot long. and there is room for a sump. are bio balls necessary in the sump? later on, ill add a hang on the back skimmer, ive seen a prizm skimmer and i like the look of it. would a single NO tube be enough for the refugium. ill have it on reverse cycle, so when the tank lights go off, the refugium lights will come on. im also going to turn the stand into a cabinet by putting some wood all around it.

wat do you think? ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Jeremy

Oh, yeah i forgot to mention, but im gonn a double my sand bed to get around 4 inches thick. it will be 40Kg, which is around 100pounds.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hello again ;D ;D ;D

as far as bioballs there optional but not needed infact a lot of people are getting away from them because ive heard they help produce nitrates.
    the prizm skimmer isnt a bad skimmer probably one of the better ones for its price range. it does take a bit to get adjusted but works well. one thing i did with mine once i got it set where it worked the best i used a marker to mark the knob for the water flow that way when ever i clean it i just reset it to the mark and makes it easier to set rather than fumbling around with it.
    the regular no tube should be ok for the refugium since its probably going to be sand, hitchikers, and maby macro alges. ive seen some run with out light and they work fine
    making your stand a cabinet is a good idea hides all the ugly lookin stuff lol ;) ;) ;)
    a 4" sb will help lower nitrates more that would only be a plus to your system

i like it sounds like you got a lotta plans fer your tank yet [smiley=thumbs_up.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

5. Jeremy

yeah, i sure have. in that case, i wont use bio balls, their too expensive and i would need an extra compartment in the sump.

cya

6. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Bio balls are NOT needed in a reef tank. You will get plenty of biological filtration from the lr. Bio balls will become a nitrate bed and be more trouble than they are worth!

For your fuge light! If you plan on growing macro, go with a lower kelvin bulb, like 5500K. The lower the kelving the better the macro will grow. Also, I keep my lights on 24/7, this helps to prevent macro algae from becoming A Sexual!

Prizm are great little skimmers for the money but not get discouraged, because like karlas said. They take a bit to get adjusted!
    mR