Big Mistake

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by gabbyr189, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Not really familiar with LEDs/electrical wiring, etc. I bought a RapidLED setup from someone selling one they had already built. I had a problem with two of the bulbs, so I purchased a multimeter and was trying to make sure everything was wired correctly. I have 48 3W crees divided onto four drivers (12 on each).

I was using the multimeter to see how much current passing through bulbs on one circuit that was wired correctly. For some reason, I touched the multimeter to two different bulbs at one time. They are wired in series, and I touched bulbs 1 and 8 (I believe). I then heard a sizzle, and even saw a little smoke. I can't believe I did that. Did I short circuit it or something? Again, I am new to electrical wiring/LEDs... However, I am vaguely familiar with the physics/electricity calculation side of things from college physics. Anyway, I am not sure what I need to replace here. Could I have messed up the bulbs? The driver? Both? I would assume bulbs 2-7 would be fine. How can I test the driver/bulbs to see where the problem is?

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

My guess is you shorted out those LEDs, possibly more. If you can wire up two AA batteries in series with leads coming off both ends, then you can test an individual LED to see if it'll still light up. Alternatively, Radio Shack sells something like this that you can use instead of wiring the batteries up yourself: AA Battery LED Tester - Rapid LED

Anything is possible but I doubt you messed up the driver, usually it's just the LED(s) that are harmed. Also, which driver do you have and how many LEDs in your string?

4. ska d

ska d Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

when testing current the probes should be in series with the component you are testing. Placing probes parallel is for voltage. Sounds like you burnt a bulb. Some multimeters have little sockets to test leds. If yours has these you can run two wires from the multi to the led to be tested

5. gabbyr189

Driver is Mean Well ELN-60-48P and there are 12 LEDs in the string (3W Cree's). Good to know that I probably didn't mess up the driver.

This battery checker is perfect. You don't know how much time I spent trying to wire these myself. I gave up. If only I had four hands. Only problem is that I am tired of paying this $7 shipping charge.

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

lol try living in Canada, shipping from them is like 25 each time.

7. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Were you trying to solder the batteries together? You can probably also just use some electrical tape to ensure the connection is made. In any case, if you'd like us to ship via first class mail we can do that for $3, please email us at [email protected] and we'll get it squared away (also, usually it's only about $2 at Radio Shack for the tester if there's a store near you that would be faster).

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

Wow good to know! I actually already placed/received my order. I was not trying to solder the batteries together. I was just trying to hold them together. I also ordered electrical tape, solder, wire, etc. I used the battery LED tester and determined that 5 of the 12 LEDs are blown, so I will order more bulbs today or tomorrow.

I will let you know how it turns out!

10. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

Glad you got it all figured out and it was led's only.

11. gabbyr189

I have a question.. I have 18-gauge electrical wire handy for this project. However, the guy who originally built this setup used thinner wire (maybe 20-gauge). Is it critical that I use a uniform wire size throughout? Or should I buy the same gauge that was used on the rest of the string?

12. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

I don't think it's too important to use the same gauge wire, as long as the distances are short both 18 or 20g would work.