Resolved bicolor pseudochromis attacking firefish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Magnus, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Hello, a week or so ago, I did everything I could to keep this bicolor pseudochromis alive. I had oxygen deprived my fish for lack of knowledge and by leaving my lids on. Now no lids, water is moving a lot on the top so oxygen is fine and he recovered. Now, this guy I put so much effort into saving, just almost killed my pretty Firefish Goby and I'm getting really angry. He's picked on him so bad, that the firefish is belly up at the bottom of the tank, and does not move at all, except that I see every now and then he has spasms??? I don't think he's really breathing and might not be able to reverse this. I'm returning the dottyback to the freaking store today.

Any suggestions on how to bring this almost dead firefish back to life?
    I turned all lights off and turn my bubbles at the highest point for lots of oxygen. Anything else I can do?

- Mag.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are doing all that you can do I think. Sorry to hear. According to most literature pseudochromis are best kept with larger aggressive fish.

1 person likes this.
  4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

If the water parameters in your tank are stable, the best thing is to leave him alone and see if he recovers. But keep a close eye on him, and get him out ASAP if he dies.

Regarding your pseudochromis, these are territorial little guys. It is possible that he and the firefish were competing for a location in the tank, and a peaceful firefish is no match for a pseudochromis. In such a case, the best thing to do is to remove the pseudochromis into quarantine for a week or two, and re-arrange the rockwork in your tank a little. When the pseudochromis is re-introduced to the tank, it will seem like a new tank to him, and he will be the new guy on the block, and likely will be much more shy.

If this is feasible for you, you can try it rather than returning him to the LFS.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes unfortunately pseudochromis are quite aggressive little guys

1 person likes this.
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's an understatement. I had one take out all of my shrimp.

1 person likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I guess it was too late for the firefish. I also have 1 small and 1 medium shrimp... I hope this bastard behaves or he's definitely going back to the store. My wife doesn't want him gone, but I really, REALLY do.... I'll try my best.

Thanks for such a quick response, everybody. +k

2/15/2010 R.I.P. Firefighter

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

Sorry to hear about your Firefish. You'd really be better off with a true Dottyback- similar in appearance to the Pseudochromis, but far less aggressive. I had one Bicolor, and it was so mean that it even chased the "seasoned" damsels out of their cave and refused to let anything anywhere near the entire reef, including snails and hermits! He definitely had to go.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry for the loss, good luck with the pseudochromis

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

THanks guys. I don't think my LFS will take the little guy back, I need to call them and find out. Wife refuses to give him up since we went through so much to save him when I almost choked (oxygen deprive) him to death.

I'm really not sure what to do about him. He's alright, but has gotten more and MORE aggressive as time went by. This pseudochromis, as soon as I introduced the Firefish Goby started chasing him up and down and everytime he'll see him, he'll chase him.

I saw the bicolor pseudochromis viciously attacking the firefish last night for the first time, so I fed everyone and turned the lights off to make him chill. Today I saw his final, and pretty vicious, blow if you ask me, against the poor firefish who was hiding flat against a rock and already scared. Little guy didn't have a shot :(

I wonder what other type of colorful pacifist fish I can put in this 55 gallon tank. I have 2 Tomato clowns, a Hippo Tang and the killer one.

- Mag.

12. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you like the look of a bicolor fish, you could try a royal gramma - much less aggressive than a pseudochromis. Or you could try a bicolor blenny. Assuming, of course, that this pseudochromis doesn't calm down a bit.