Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by karlas, May 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy Plankton

Re: beta fish

Hi, I have in my 25 gal mixed bettas with both the regular neons, black skirt tetras, white clouds, guppies no problems.

But I would not recommend you mixing them with females, they are highly aggressive towards the females and will harass them to death. Unless you are wanting to breed them and are properly set up for breeding please don't mix the males and females in same tank.

The females I have seen and had are quite beautiful in color, they come in blues, reds, greens the only thing they are lacking is the long flowing fins the males have.

You can put several females in a tank together and all will be fine. I have always had the problem of feeding them in a community tank environment. They don't really like the flakes so I then start the freeze dried bloodworms and frozen brineshrimp. Once you start that you might as well forget everything else cause that is all they will eat then.

Another thing I have found, the males mostly is that they can be a bit of a bully towards other fish in the tank. Just my experience though.

But if you are wanting a beautiful outstanding display and have a big enough tank. Some regular and black neons along with some harlequin tetras and some nicley colored female bettas :)
    Or you could add one male to this and no females.

Good luck, you really have me thinking now of getting one again :)

bugsy

2. Click Here!

3. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

>Zebra Danios are a pretty low maintenance addition but the low temps in a betta bowl wouldn't be ideal. If you'd like to add other fish it's best to put the betta in a community tank with a filter or airstone running and a heater for the other fish.

>Java Moss is ideal to add the the bowl for bettas. I add a clump of Java and some sand for the bottom, the sand provides a substrate for some beneficial bacteria to grow and the Java helps to break down the ammonia in the bowl. I do water changes (keeping the betta in the bowl) once every 10-14 days like this and they do great!

>I'll post some pics of my betta babies! They love picking the little bugs off of the moss and plants in the tank! [smiley=sombrero.gif]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's a picture of a 10 gallon DIY divided tank that I set up for 4 bettas. The tank has a penguin mini bio-wheel filter, heater, airstone, flourite under the smooth stones and plenty of live plants...(cabomba, water sprite, java moss, cryptocoryne). I like this setup as the water stays nice and clean.

I did put a piece of plastic canvas in front of the outlet for the filter to cut down on the current..which works great !

Lots of places will tell you that betta like living in small places and you don't have to worry about water quality. I beg to differ...though they can put up with such conditions I am quite sure that they appreciate a little room and clean water the same as any other fish. I love to create roomy beautiful homes for all my betta.

Sometimes when you bring a betta home they get frumpy from the change. They are also very fussy about what they eat. If what you are offering them is different than what they're used to...they'll refuse it until they get hungry enough to finally try it. I wouldn't worry too much if they don't eat for a few days after coming home.

[​IMG]

5. Emg

Emg Plankton

Hhmmm....no picture....lets see if I can get this right......

[​IMG]

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very cool beta tank. 8)

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I agree! It is beautiful! :D

8. Click Here!

9. Emg

Emg Plankton

Thanks ! I am planning on making another and possibly doing some up to sell. Think there's a market?

Going to be moving all my other fellas into one of these I think. Alot easier cleaning and maintaining one 10 gallon than 4 different 1 gallons...which is what most of the others are in. ....and I like the idea of having a good filter and heater for the guys. I have to keep the lights on all the time in the little tanks, so that that temp doesn't float all over the place. They don't seem to be suffering any from it, but I'm sure they would appreciate a bit of darkness once in awhile.

I have all together .... 11 male betta and 7 females ... along with a 29 community tank and various other things..lol..newts, ADFs and possibly soon, some poison dart frogs ! just found out you can have those !!

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Hi Elyse, My daughter's name is Elyse! Any way, you could put a gold fish with the beta. Good luck!

11. Olyoxenfree

Olyoxenfree Astrea Snail

No. Goldfish produce too much waste for anything smaller than a 20 gallon aquarium (for a 2 inch fish!)

In fact, it is cruel to keep a betta in anything smaller than 1 and a half gallon aquarium per fish.

12. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Here is mine!

[​IMG]

He lives in a one gallon nano with Red Sea power filter and water heater. Likes HBH Betta Bites and ignores flakes. Loves the current from the power filter!