Best water to use?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Pep's abode, Jul 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pep's abode

Pep's abode Plankton

What is the best type of water to use? I have been using tap water & mixing my salt. So, what are the experts opinions? I would love to hear from you all

2. Click Here!

3. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

I just aksed the same question yesterday...lol. A lot of the responses to me was to use RO/DI water. Also i was told to use distilled water if i could not get RO./DI water. I have been using tap water also. did my first test yesterday and some of the numbers were not good! it is becase of the tap water.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Pep's abode likes this.
  4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

A lot of newbies use treated tap water but the treatment only removes chlorine. I started my previous 55g with tap water...it's an easy thing to fix. With all your water changes, mix your salt with your new water(ro/di, ro, or distilled) and do all your top ups with fresh non salted water(same choices)
    Within no time all the tap water is gone and replaced

There is a lot more in tap water treatment than just chlorine which is harmful to our tanks. If you tested your local tap water the TDS numbers would be high. Some people have had success using their tap water or well water but the quality and treatment changes from area to area and even during the seasons. Even the chemicals used to clean pipes is deadly.
    Using Tap water will lead to Nitrate and Phosphate issues which will lead to health issues and algae.

The best water to use is RO/DI.
    Other good choices is RO water or distilled

I personally buy distilled at walmart because buying bottled RO/DI where I am located isn't as readily available. Walmart in CDA doesn't offer RO/DI

Billme likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Well said.

Another option is to buy an RO/DI filter for yourself.

Pep's abode, mdbostwick and Piano10 like this.
  6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

jeez I forgot to mention buying your own unit! I often forget because I'm in a high rise apartment with no option to do that:(

Pep's abode likes this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Yes, tap water is bad.
    Yup, you'll want to budget for an RO/DI unit. IME, it's the best way to get more consistent water into your tank.

I have known many people to buy from here and these have been one of the best companies for water.

The refurb units get rebuilt, they are just scratch and dent. That price!!
    http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

also skip the inline and get a handheld. :cool:

Pep's abode likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

sure there is. You can hook one up to a faucet adapter and make water as you need it. It's better than carrying water around... ANYTHING is better than hauling water, it's heavy... ugh....

Pep's abode likes this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

When my finances are better I will look into that option for myself.

I lucked out, I buy the 4L small bottles of distilled at Walmart for my 15g, they are easy to carry in my cart and cheap;) but ya, I used to have to lug 2 of those huge containers of RODI for my 55g...not cool

11. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

These are units that just go under the sink and hook up to the piping? The price on the one you posted does not seem to expensive!

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

the reason RO/DI is used is to have control of what chemicals and compunds you are adding to your tank, tap water has just to many virables. somone once told me on here something along the lines of; the values mentioned by the tap water company hardly reflect the reality of the actual concentrations in your water. furthermore they can fluctuate. you may get by using tap water if its on the cleaner end of things and if you plan in keeping a fish only system but its not ideal. just because fish are a little more resistant to nitrates, nitritis etc doesnt mean they should be allowed to live in them....

Pep's abode and Vinnyboombatz like this.