Best two part system?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tattoolew, Dec 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

So I have been reading several posts along with talking to some local guys and I was wandering about using a 2part dosing system. I do not currently dose anything and do water changes every week or week and a half. Does anyone recommend any certain brands and online stores to get them at? I hear good things about Two little fishes and BRS but I am really new to the idea of dosing.

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Bump? Does anyone recommend a brand/system?

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

BTW sorry I didn't see it the other day. I just made this solution for myself the other night. About 10 bucks for 2 gallons of each supplement including magnesium. Not too shabby

6. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

BRS is the best value I have used.

7. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Thanks, the DIY route seems cool I may try it later but don't know if I'm ready yet.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

It's super simple buddy. Here's the skinny. You get some driveway heat and use 2 cups mixed with enough water to make a gallon. That's your Calcium portion.

You take baking soda, 2 1/4 cups, put it in the oven for an hour and mix it with enough water to make a gallon. There's your alk portion.

You take 8 cups of Epsom salts, dissolve it in enough water to make a gallon and there's your magnesium.

Way too easy and you can have it done today =)

This is one of the easiest DIY's you can do in this hobby.

10. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

As a chemical engineer with nearly 20 years in the business, I would never take anything like a sidewalk salt and use it in my reef tank. Generally speaking, there will be very little control about trace constituents that can easily build-up over time in your tank. In addition, leaky pump seals, lube oils, wash down water from someone hosing the floor, etc. will end up back in the process and ultimately in the salt.

Safe for your driveway and sidewalk? Absolutely.

Put it in my reef? No way.

My 2 cents worth... :)

11. jgraz

jgraz Astrea Snail

If I may add to this BRS calcium chloride is only slightly more expensive for the same amount. I know people have been using it for years but why take the chance.
    As to the magnesium part, if you only use Epsom salts(magnesium sulphate) then ultimately it will lead to a buildup of sulphate a in the system. This the reason for magnesium chloride.
    FWIW I would but from BRS, cheap and reliable.

12. cardiffgiant

cardiffgiant Plankton

I echo others concerns for the use of driveway heat. I get huge buckets of ice melt (calcium chloride) from BJs warehouse and the stuff only goes on my sidewalks and driveway. I feel the same way about using bath salts for the magnesium mix.

The order that I'd recommend progressing in is:
    -Regular testing of your calcium, alkalinity, and somewhat regular testing of magnesium to understand what your systems demand is. You'll need to be in the habit of this in order to dial in two part dosing (and to prevent dangerous alkalinity swings)
    -If your systems demand exceeds what is replaced with regular water changes, start with kalkwasser. Kalk is pretty cheap at BRS, you can mix it in your top off water, and it's very easy to automate with the use of a timer and/or level controller (I use both)
    -If your demand begins to exceed what the water changes and kalk are replenishing, then start using two part. The most cost effective way that I've found to do it is to make the alkalinity part by cooking baking soda, then buying the calcium part, and magnesium supplements from BRS. You can automate your dosing with digital timers and dosing pumps. The advantage is that it makes life easier, it spreads your doses out over a longer time period, and it can split your dosing schedule for each part (preventing buildup in your pumps)

The article that Daniel072 posted is terrific. I've been dosing two part for years and I still go back and reread it occasionally (usually when I forget how many cups of baking soda to use).