Best test kit?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Michaelr5, Nov 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

To make a long story short. I have used three different test kits over the months and just realized they were giving different results from the same samples. E.G. Nitrate levels ranged from 5 to 40, PH from 7.8 to 8.4. Is there a concensus on the best test kits? Should I look at kits, or individual tests. I notice that CA is seldom included in kits.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I like the Seachem and the Salifert kits. some are cost effective as kits, others are not. It's your preference. :)

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Same here... Salifert and Seachem. i've tried a couple other brands but never had the precise results like i do with those 2 brands. There more expensive but IMO worth it.

Marc.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I use Salifert for everything except Amonia and for that i use Hegen

J

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hagen for amonia J... really... i bought that one a while back and i would get different results on two tests done in a row. maybe it was just a bad batch or something.

Marc.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I just don't like the colour change on the salifert. It's not great enough. where as the Hagen has a huge colour change between the 0 and 0.1
    I haven't tried any others.
    Any suggestions

J

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Actually ive been using AquaPharm tests kits for Nitrate and i am pleased. I am due to buy one for amonia and nitrite but just havent got around to do it. I use AquaPharm for nitrate, nitrite, and amonia since there cheeper and i dont test for those things often. I have my tell tell signs with some corals when something is wrong so then i test.

Marc.

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I guess I third the SeaChem vote. Their pH kit has the most readable range of any I have seen. Also most of their kits come with a reference so you can test yourself to see if you are testing correctly.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I just started using the Red Sea tests, so far so good. The color range is a bit off, but I'm doing ok with it.

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Salifert for me. : )