best t5 bulbs money can buy?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by BluePhish, May 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

just want to keep this simple. what are the best bulbs i can get for my nova extreme t5 ho 4x54 watt? i have about 10 corals mostly lps and a few leathers. some zoa, and stars. what would be the best color combination for my corals? i prefer the look of 460nm over 420nm if that helps, and my nova extreme lights say slim paq is that any thing different than regular t5 ho? and possibly a reliable site that i can purchase such bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I love the ATI bulbs. 3 specials and an actinic would be good, or if you like a slightly more blue look then go for 2 specials, 1 blue plus and an actinic.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i was told uv bulbs were good and they did ok for about 9 months before wearing out.t5's are supposed to last longer.so i got GIESEMANN
    bulbs this time and so far i'm happy but its only been 3 months so i'll know in like 6 months if their better,as advertised i wish i could test them cause i think their brighter.i raised my light 2 inches higher off the tank and the corals seemed healthier.i have 2 54watt 11,oook t5's and 2 actinics over a 55 gallon tank and i think its to bright for a few of my corals.they expanded better after i raised the light.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

URI out do them all if you ever saw them side by side , URI was the best thing to ever happen to T 5's

6. BluePhish

hey tangster what uri bulb configuration would you recommend for my setup?(color, k rating)

7. BluePhish

what temp.has more intensity 10k or 14k, what k do corals prefer?, if they do at all.meaning what color of the light spectrum do they use the most of? i just cant decide what temp to use and how many of which?

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you mix these bulbs in this combination you will have a very hot 11 to 14 K it's a great mix for coral's , coralline's and clam's . Thats what I do for a living is grow corals as fast and healthy as I can thats why we use M/H but we try other things and with T-5 that by the way I think suck to be blunt and VHO do a far better job the only redeeming quality about a T-5 is one can cram more bulbs into a given space.
    I really don't like them They are just a smaller bulb with higher pressure gas and that makes them glow a bit brighter to some . I myself would rather run VHO's But Since URI put these bulbs out then to me thats is all that makes a T 5 worth plugging in.. And I ran them side by side with other bulbs . Thats why we have many of the other bulbs still setting up on the racks . Last Nov I was told by our Rep. at Ultra Violet that they where or had a line of P/C bulbs coming out soon .

With any Tube type fluorescent bulbs its all about the Phosphors and they quality of them and the earth metals and the amount of these that make one better then the other.. Its not so much about brightness.

10. BluePhish

so im def gonna go uri. ive heard that the uri 10000k put out more of a violet color compared to other companys 10000k.some people explained it as almost pink. is thier any truth to this?. whats your fav uri bulb setup to use.?
    mix which bulbs?
    thanks for your response!!

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Are my eyes decieving???? or is Tangster promoting T5HO's???

Just an FYI, URI is now UV...

12. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have used a lot of different t5 bulbs. Actually the ones that handle the best, don't blow as easy, and are very bright, I have clams sps lps and softies, are the petsmart hagen brand. I have the same fixture. I also have 2 24" smaller novas that I put on the front. I run:

Actinic
    Actinic
    actinic

Its a nice configuration. My clams are doing great and my sps grow like crazy!!!
    I like the 18k it has a pinkish color and the 67k are right over my clams, they seem to like it. I have had moved the lights up too, can't really tell that much of a difference. They are very good fixtures, f#%@ what anyone else says that have not used them. T5HO are great the bulbs are cheap and last. They are intense and I have grown coral in every part of the tank.

Have rearranged a little since this pic, but so you know I know what I am talking about. Those hagen bulbs are nice!!!

Attached Files: