Best Supplements for Reef Tank?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ManNurseReefer, Jun 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I currently use B-Ionic 2 part to dose my reef. What are your opinions as far as the best two part to use and also mag supplements? I do not dose mag yet but I think I need to start testing for it and dosing.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The two part system from bulkreefsupply.com is way simple to use and very inexpensive compared to liquid supplements.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

agreed. I use the BRS stuff too

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I use BRS (3 parts) as well.

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

Is it just the price you guys like? or the product that good?

7. blackraven1425

Both. With the kit, you get both kinds of magnesium, so you don't overload your system with Sulfur.

Other than that, the product is exactly the same as a liquid product - just dry and cheap instead of liquid and expensive.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's that good. I actually only buy the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride from them and make my own soda ash. It's Randy Farleys Improved DIY 2 Part recipe without the hassle of locating the ingredients yourself. I can make 3 gallons of calc and 2 gallons of mag for under 20 bucks and 3 gallons of alk for less than 2 dollars by making my own ash.

10. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

So do you just mix the powder with some tank water and then add it to your system?

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No I mix it with ro water a gallon at at a time. When I first started I tested calc./alk daily for a week to figuire my daily dose. I had to figuire a weekly dose for mag because I have a whole bunch of mangroves and they use it up pretty fast. But normaly you would figuire your daily dose and dose it until a gallon of alk and a gallon of calc were used then slow dose a gallon of magnesium.

I got started with this article by Randy Holmes-Farley but the elements he uses are to much a PITA to locate in smaller quantities so I buy them from BRS.
    There's calculators here on 3reef and BRS to figuire dosing amounts but I prefer to use this one because it's what I know.

12. blackraven1425

Mix X amount of each supplement in to one gallon of RO(DI), then dose from that gallon as necessary.