Best Skimmer at any Price

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Servillius, Dec 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I prefer internal. I have a 20 long as a sump and most of it is empty space, but I do prefer a compact design, so I tend to favor a small footprint. I have more than 30" of height clearance, so lets call it 30. Noise is a factor, energy efficiency is not.

Reliability matters. I also want to avoid a finiky skimmer. More than anything I want to be sure anything that can be skimmed, is. I want absolute certainty I'm getting the most skimming I can.

Thanks for the help!

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Just so you know, with a small footprint comes the trade-off of less contact time. IMO, unless a small footprint is an absolute necessity, you should not opt for a small footprint. The taller the skimmer, the more contact time, the more the skimmer is able to pull out. Keep also in mind that due needle wheel skimmers suffer from too much height due to the fact that that the height adds head pressure to the pump thus decreasing air flow. It's a fine balance.

My first choice would be:
    ATB Deluxe 10.5 Internal Protein Skimmer: Has a very reliable pump, maximum contact time, dead silent, and a fairly small footprint considering that the pump is not located in the body. Considering all of your requirements, I'm not sure of a better fit for maximum skimming ability.

The next skimmer is untested long term but is unparalleled in the amount of air it can pull. Keep in mind that reliability is unknown as the pump is new to the market.
    ATI PowerCone 200 I-Series Skimmer with Controllable Pump: Due to the amount of air it pulls and the unparalleled small bubbles that it's pump produces, it theoretically should have massive skimming potential. All of the electronic controls might be a bit intimidating though as the pump has a speed controller. and you can dial in the exact amount of air that you desire. This skimmer is capable of handling 2200 -2300 lph of air although the pump cn produce upwards of 3000 lph.

4. Servillius

Thanks much. The ATB is now at the top of the list. I did some additional unscientific research. I looked at every tank I really thought looked healthy in TOTM and elsewhere. The most common skimmers were ATB and BK.

As for footprint, I list it because all else being equal, it's nice to have. I'm not inclined to give up performance for it. I looked at the ATB's and you're right, highly regarded and a competitive price at its end of the market.

Thanks!

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Using TOTM as a guide wouldn't you have to conclude you need a 500+ gallon system, with a custom LeeMar custom display? ;D. J/k. Really though, I think people who have TOTM quality systems have been in the hobby a long time and have been burned by cheap junk. No doubt ATB and BK don't make junk! Looking through the archives though, I see a lot of ROs, SWC, customs ETSS etc... I like ATB though, I came really close to getting one instead of my RO last time, but I'm a creature of habit I guess :)

6. Servillius

Oh absolutely. Im the first to admit its not the greatest research ever. That said, I got in this hobby in about 1990 and I can't even remember all the crap skimmers I've been through. Worse, the 15 year break in the middle means I went through two different series of crap but didn't get to build on the bad experiences of the first trip through.

I actually quite like my RO. If someone asked, I'd recommend it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy something a little pricier though, and I'm willing to do it if I feel like I'm going to get something for the money. The ATB sounds very promising. The BK is still also tempting me, but based on the advice so far, the ATB is in the lead.

7. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

skim-her-mer

What happens to them over time? I've had mine used for about 6 months. When do you feel like you start to see issues with the pumps?

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I was just giving you a hard time BTW. Reality is, most information we get is anecdotal. Looking for patterns among "nice" tanks, is one of the better anecdotal methods available and one of my preferred methods...

10. Servillius

Oh I know :)

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Really, for a 120?
    I mean I'm with you on ATB. BK is really nice, and I loved my 160, but ya, for the money, you can get a ATB. But a 8.5 would be fine... IMO. I have not looked in a while and do not know if there is a "delux" for that.

OP, you do not have to spend a fortune, but ya... ATB is top of the heap for performance. If you do not like fiddling with your Octopus, you definitely will not like a PM Bullet.... PM is fine, but becketts are known for being finicky.

And Octo XP is a solid performer. WM/Skimz. If Jon approves it, I'll buy it. If you want to spend the money, an ATB will be great.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Quick question GC... how has the controllable pump been working out? I never could get a good answer on what the point was. I realize you can turn it down... but as with all skimmers, they are designed for their sweet spot. Most people want the max theirs can do anyway, and mod it to cram all they can in. (not that it's a good thing)

So with the variable drive, I get a skimmer sized for what I want, set it to how I like, then what do I want the variable drive for?

Thanks.