best sand for reef tanks

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by alexander, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

You know AZ, I tried finding the sugar-fine sand around town and nobody carried it. Whats up with that? Did you buy yours from a LFS? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I got my Southdown about 6 years ago at a Home Depot. I don't think you can find it any more though. It was bought out by Old Caste and later marketed as YardRight play sand in a blue plastic bag then disappeared. It came from the same place as all the aragonite aquarium sand but was much cheaper, as low as $3 a 50 lb bag.
    My local reef group was lucky enough to talk a HD store manager into bringing in an entire semi truck load to Phoenix. We bought all but two pallets locally within 2 weeks and they shipped the rest to LA if I remember right. I bought 500 lbs myself at $6.50 a 50 lb bag and used 330 lbs in my 100G and gave the rest to my nephew for his 90G system.

At one time you could still get Southdown or its equal along the east coast and in Ohio but I have not heard of any in quite some time.