best sand for reef tanks

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by alexander, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What is the best sand for a reef tank.

I have a 112g and I'm running a maxijet 1200 modded for 2000+ gph. I'm concerned about creating a dust storm.

What do you guys reccommend?

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

well for what you are worried for i would say nothing too fine. get larger grains.

1 person likes this.
  4. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What brand and grain size do you recommend?

Do you think I'll be fine with the .5-1.5mm grain size of the Caribsea special grade reef sand?
    Thanks!
    K+

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

IMO it doesnt matter that much just point PH in the appropriote direction to avoid the sand storms , I had super fine sand in a 55 and had 4 MJ1200 and 1 was modded never had a problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

carib sea is really good san i have it and i forgot what kind it is.

1 person likes this.
  7. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

dont get anything thats superfine like the junk petco sells. it will blow around and get into the water. natures ocean somoan pink is nice sand.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i have 80lbs of caribsea fiji-pink live-sand in my 75gal tank that i just setup and i love it. takes little time to decloud the tank. i have had this same stuff in my 10gal nano and my scooter blenny LOVES IT. always hiding in it and creating little craters where he burrows. i had a K1 and a HOB mechanical-filter rated for a 75gal tank moving water on a 10gal and it didnt move the sand but kept all the detritus up.... id say you're fine with pretty much any of the caribsea live sand. if you want dead sand, i cant help you as i havent purchased any yet.

i had a mp20 vortech unit running in my 75gal which has the 80lbs of fiji-pink and even at 100% on the powerhead it wasnt creating any form of sand storm (but dang it was creating a helluva tidal wave across the top of my tank...)

i also used their indo pacific style where its black and white aragonite in my 55gal cichlid tank and its always buffered the ph well.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I have Fiji pink sand and I love it

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The finest you can get is best. I have 330 lbs of sugar sized Southdown (5-6") in a 100G reef system with two Koralia K4's, a 1000GPH closed loop with a Oceans Motions Squirt two way and a 1000 GPH return pump and have absolutely no problems with blowing sand.
    Once the bacteria coat the sand it settles like a rock and stays put. Coarse sands trap detritus, end up being nitrate factories, does not have as much surface area for beneficial bacteria and is harder on snails, pods, worms and other fauna.