Best Salt...

Discussion in 'Salt' started by cody3819, May 13, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

What's the best all around salt for trace elements, Calcium stability and so on...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

I would say Instant Ocean. My Calcium is spot on :). It mixes very easy aswell

cody3819 likes this.
  4. cody3819

I just ordered redsea coral pro

DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Coral pro is hands down the best salt for a reef tank IMO. It has everything you need from trace elements to the big three. We have used coral pro for years, since I set the reef tank up. I switched salt for about 3 buckets to red seas regular salt and what me and my wife noticed was shocking. Corals lost a lot of color, generally looked withered and no polyp extension at all. It took months after we switched back to coral pro for the corals to bounce back. It was extremely stressful. Since there's a lot of different corals in the reef tank, having extra calcium and alkalinity helps with dosing. I've never had issue with stability with coral pro. Every test I've done from a new bucket has been spot on. We talked to a red Sea rep at reefapalooza and he explained the difference between both of there salts and it is a big difference. Good choice cody, after your second bucket I bet you'll notice a difference in your tank.

scajeo, Lovemyreef2015 and cody3819 like this.
  6. cody3819

Thanks DSC, I have been fighting calcium issues for a few months..... To high to low, dosing ext...... I have done some reading and I draw the same conclusion as you. I believe I will be very happy. Thanks again buddy.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

+1 ^^ I 100% agree with DSC. I've never been happier with Coral Pro!

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I used to use Instant Ocean-change to instant ocean reef crystals...i don't recommend either.

Reg io offered the lowest numbers
    Reef crystals-decent calcium but horrible magnesium levels.
    I HAVE to dose mag everyday to keep it above 1200-i do a water change and it drops the mag to 1140...every week. I have a log to prove it. Before dosing mag, my levels were 1040 and my ca and alk were constantly dropping.

When my salt is done, I'm switching to coral pro.

cody3819 likes this.
  10. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I'm using hw-Marinemix Reefer this go-round, and my corals love it. It's an synthetic German salt that dissolves without leaving a residue. For a 2month old tank, I have excellent monti growth and coloration, plus my LPS are plump and feeding well. The next time BRS has a big sale, I'm buying 2 more boxes.

cody3819 likes this.
  11. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Since I stopped carbon dosing I've been using Tropic Marin BioActif. Before that, Coral Pro. It's never let me down. Loads of other salts have.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  12. cody3819

Thanks guys for all the info, it comes in today.... Very excited! WhiskeyTango, I will do some reading on your salt.... Thanks for the recommendation.