Best reef salt for softies?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by cosmo, Nov 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

And is it enough supplements to not have to to dose regularly or just help lessen dosing? I'm about 10 weeks in and have a kenya tree, about 6 mushrooms, a riordea thingy but not a ricordea i think, some ugly brown polyps, and a xenia! By this time next week will have 5 more zoa colonies of 10 each and a few more mushrooms! Plus I think the ricordea thingy is giving birth to another kenya tree! or its just pooping one, didnt sex the ricordea!lol

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Since soft corals don't use elements to build a skeleton, most any good name brand will do (Instant Ocean, Red Sea, etc) without dosing. However, if you want good coralline algae growth, you'll still need to use a reef-grade salt mix (Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro, etc) for the higher calcium, magnesium, and alk.

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

eh ive seen some controversy over whether or not they use elements but as long as regular wc are done the trace elements that may or may not be needed should be good enough for softies however i do know they use iodine from salt mix so i wouldnt say they dont use anything but i do agree with Mr. Bill...just about any salt should be fine without dosing

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks guys! Have a bucket of Instant Ocean reef crystals coming! I figure I'm a year out of switching to sps so this should work for now!

6. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone