Best protein skimmer for the money

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by alexander, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I know lol

but my skimmer is the best. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think they are great. I am all for a guy in his garage doing good stuff. Sounds like a real nice helpful guy too. Hard to dislike any of that.

For me though, they just seem a bit expensive for what they are. But I know they are built solid. Seems acceptable to save money on less polish for a solid performer.

And my K2 is the best bubble machine available.;D

4. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Its not a guy in a garage, he's professional damit lol

5. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm looking for quiet operation, and constant long term performance, at the lowest possible price. The acrylic used for the construction doesn't really matter to me as I am very careful with all my equipment.

6. h2bdelsol

h2bdelsol Plankton

In my opinion

The octopus skimmers rock. I have one it wasn't very expensive. It skims great, that is if you like a little wet skim. Only thing I really don't like about it is the noise level.

7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I paid only $330 for my XP..... But that was on saltysupply typo and coupon code :D

Now that makes mine the best skimmer :D

8. Click Here!

9. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Euro Reef BBE180 Can't beat the price, and the skim literally makes me sick to the stomach.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

OK, Scicce PSK 2500 pumps are on a ton of skimmers. Sometimes there are buzzy ones, but overall they are pretty quiet. Octopus, Warner, ATB does custom work to theirs. Lots of availability and ATB and Warner make high performance wheels for them. Purple and Red respectively. Solid, quiet, efficient performer.

Needle wheel skimmers are going to be your best bet for consistency. Cones are nice. They do work "better", but a well tuned cylinder will do fine.

Octos will do a great job. Personally, I like to over skim. I would go with a 200 sized skimmer. Octo/ MSX 200 ect. The new Octo cone looks to be a great bang for the buck. The pump has nice features, but I have not heard too many people talk about how quiet they are.

I would say the Vertex IN series is about the best value going. Very good performance and very low price. Personally, I would rather spend the money for a Sicce pump instead of the China made Resun on the Vertex, but again, very good performance. Very well balanced skimmer for an incredible price.

And last, the I-tech skimmer is not going to be "the cheapest possibe", but it is indeed a good value and solid performer, and the Tunze pump would be a excellent choice. I would strongly consider it even if it is at the top of what you would like to spend.

While ATB 840 does not usually get a nod for "budget" skimmers. For as good as they are with the quality they come with, I would dare say they are and excellent value and have a good bang for buck ratio, even if it is in a different price bracket.

12. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well there you have it.... K + for an awesome post

I just got a octo extreme 200 with ATB large purple pinwheel (free at reef specialty right now). Its coming in tomorrow so i can really say how its skimming. I can tell you that when i picked it up, and when i picked up an ASM G2 there was a different in build quality.... I didnt want to spend more than $300 so cones were out. I went with the most skimmer i could get for 300 bucks and this seemed to be my winner rated at up to 250 gallons. I have around 90 TWV.

And i wanted to keep it simple and from everything i read...this skimmer is simple enough and just gets the job done.