Best protein skimmer for the money

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by alexander, Nov 16, 2009.

1. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What is the best protein skimmer for the best deal in your opinion?

I have a 112g with 29 gallon sump that I am currently setting up, and am struggling on which skimmer to buy?

I was thinking about the Reef Octo-NW 150.

What do you think I should get?
    I don't have a set budget, I'm just looking for best bang for my buck.

Thanks,
    Alex
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I recently bought a new skimmer not too long ago. I went through the same thing your doing now. My decision came down to either an ASM or Precision Marine. I decided on the PM Redline 125. I have not regretted it. It's rated up to 125 gallons, built like a tank and so easy to setup and run. It was also cheaper then the ASM equivalent or other similarly sized models. IMO, it was a real deal, but not many people seem to have them. You can check out the review section b/c I did a review of the skimmer there.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

ASM G2, buy it, love it, clean it pretty much in that order :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I-Tech Skimmers are the BEST for the money.

Ultra Quiet and a beast of a skimmer

i have the 100 model. Each one is hand made.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There is no way you are going to get a right answer on this.

Acrylic is just plastic. Cell cast is better quality. Machined PVC is nice. The best build is Bubble King hands down. Flippin' works of art. ATB is another top builder, Vertex Alpha series. Other top builders are Warner Marine, MSX, Tunze. Better build quality and materials cost more money though. It is up to you to decide what you are willing to pay for.

The pump is the heart of the skimmer. What do you think is worth the money? Laguna based pumps such as Red Dragon and Askoll are very nice. Super build, many electronic protection features. Ultra quiet. Sicce is a very common good pump. Tunze.... Then you get to cheap loud and crappy pumps. Not very good, but super cheap to replace. Do you think it is worth paying $600 for a Red Dragon. Some folks do. Some folks think Quiet ones are all they need.

So what do you value? Built like a tank? Silent operation? Consistent long term performance? Easily replacable parts? Disposable stuff?

Personally, I would own any skimmer Warner Marine makes. (HOB, cylinder, cone) I would go with a MSX over a Octo (but OCto Ex is solid stuff). You want what most folks compare their cones too, (and copy) get an ATB. You want the Rolls Royce, get a Bubble King. You want great performance for cheap, get a Vertex IN series.
    3 people like this.
  7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Powerman said it all! :)
  8. Click Here!

9. infamous

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There are others that perform just as well for less. Not saying yours is not a great skimmer, and you are happy for the price you paid, but "the best for the money" is a hard statement to swallow.

Seriously, have you ever heard a Bubble King?
  11. infamous

Those skimmer are as quiet? Nope

Made in USA? Nope

Amazing customer service? Nope

Price of a Bubble king makes me ignore a bubble king

Have you ever used an I-tech skimmer?
  12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Now you are just being silly.

Red Dragon set the bar for quiet. RE customer service is as good as it gets. Does not mean I-tech can't match, but don't tell me they are "better". Tunze is renowned for CS, ATB is down right legendary, WM has taken great care of me, and when I call the number John Warner answers the phone. Made is good ole USA too. I-tech has not cornered that market.

I have never used an I-tech, and I have never said they were poor performers. Their customers love them. I see no reason to disagree. For me, I always just figured why not get what they were copied off of with better construction if I was going to go that route.
  13. infamous

I know lol

but my skimmer is the best. ;D
  14. Click Here!

15. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think they are great. I am all for a guy in his garage doing good stuff. Sounds like a real nice helpful guy too. Hard to dislike any of that.

For me though, they just seem a bit expensive for what they are. But I know they are built solid. Seems acceptable to save money on less polish for a solid performer.

And my K2 is the best bubble machine available.;D
  16. infamous

Its not a guy in a garage, he's professional damit lol
  17. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm looking for quiet operation, and constant long term performance, at the lowest possible price. The acrylic used for the construction doesn't really matter to me as I am very careful with all my equipment.
  18. h2bdelsol

h2bdelsol Plankton

In my opinion

The octopus skimmers rock. I have one it wasn't very expensive. It skims great, that is if you like a little wet skim. Only thing I really don't like about it is the noise level.
  19. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Horrid Stonefish

I paid only $330 for my XP..... But that was on saltysupply typo and coupon code :D

Now that makes mine the best skimmer :D
  20. Click Here!

21. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

22. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Euro Reef BBE180 Can't beat the price, and the skim literally makes me sick to the stomach.
  23. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

OK, Scicce PSK 2500 pumps are on a ton of skimmers. Sometimes there are buzzy ones, but overall they are pretty quiet. Octopus, Warner, ATB does custom work to theirs. Lots of availability and ATB and Warner make high performance wheels for them. Purple and Red respectively. Solid, quiet, efficient performer.

Needle wheel skimmers are going to be your best bet for consistency. Cones are nice. They do work "better", but a well tuned cylinder will do fine.

Octos will do a great job. Personally, I like to over skim. I would go with a 200 sized skimmer. Octo/ MSX 200 ect. The new Octo cone looks to be a great bang for the buck. The pump has nice features, but I have not heard too many people talk about how quiet they are.

I would say the Vertex IN series is about the best value going. Very good performance and very low price. Personally, I would rather spend the money for a Sicce pump instead of the China made Resun on the Vertex, but again, very good performance. Very well balanced skimmer for an incredible price.

And last, the I-tech skimmer is not going to be "the cheapest possibe", but it is indeed a good value and solid performer, and the Tunze pump would be a excellent choice. I would strongly consider it even if it is at the top of what you would like to spend.

While ATB 840 does not usually get a nod for "budget" skimmers. For as good as they are with the quality they come with, I would dare say they are and excellent value and have a good bang for buck ratio, even if it is in a different price bracket.
  24. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well there you have it.... K + for an awesome post

I just got a octo extreme 200 with ATB large purple pinwheel (free at reef specialty right now). Its coming in tomorrow so i can really say how its skimming. I can tell you that when i picked it up, and when i picked up an ASM G2 there was a different in build quality.... I didnt want to spend more than $300 so cones were out. I went with the most skimmer i could get for 300 bucks and this seemed to be my winner rated at up to 250 gallons. I have around 90 TWV.

And i wanted to keep it simple and from everything i read...this skimmer is simple enough and just gets the job done.