Best place to but MH lights?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Wolffvet, May 5, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

I am looking for a MH retro fit kit. I am going to build a canopy and put my 4 55watt PC's in for actinic support and go with like 2 175 watt 10,000k MH. What do you think and where is the best place to get them?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The best place I have found for retrofits is:

http://www.pfolighting.com/aqwebsite/aqhomepage.htm

If you stick with softies you can try the lamp arrangement you mentioned. I would suggest the Ushio lamps with HQI ballasts.

The Iwasakis are supposed to get the most growth out of corals but are kinda yellow since they only come in 6500k bulbs. They are ranked high though.

If I were you I would think about maybe a couple 250watt radium 20000k bulbs with HQI ballasts. Trailer Trash on swf has a few 400 watt versions of these on his tank and his tank is simply sick. He likes them a lot.

500 watts in halide will give you a little more options in what you can keep.

Or if you want to go the stonies route, you may want to think about 3 250 watt bulbs or 2 400 watt bulbs.

That place has all of that stuff and good reflectors too.

;D I wish I were in your shoes!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I found some bitchin deals at reeffanatic.com. Might be a fluke, but I found a full Hamilton hood for about $150 less than Hamilton sells it for. They have all the retro kits, etc. and for west coast (CA), they ship in a day or two, plus free shipping on anything over $250. Not too shabby. Should get the hood today, cant wait. I went with two 175w 5500k mh, with two 48" 40w actinic, with one 4" fan. Should be enough to cover my 72g bow, or at least a good start. The whole setup, hood and all, $494. I think I did okay.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Reefantatic does have some good deals. The kelvin is a bit on the low side there and puts out a lot of yellow. When they first came out they were all around 5500k. But with the actinics it is not too bad. Ten years ago I had one of those bulbs over my 40. You can see pics of it on this site.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Damn! I just took a close look at PFO's site and they don't sell direct!

Maybe you can call them and tell them nobody has their stuff and they will sell direct.

Premiumaquatics has PFO:

CLICK FOR 250 PFO HQI DUAL BALLAST

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

has anybody checked these guys out at all hello lights they have specials running all the time and notify you by email. havent bought anything but keep checking them out

http://www.hellolights.com/