Best Phosphate and Nitrate test kit??? What do U use?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Biocube, Jul 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Not necessarily. Really depends on what corals you keep and if you're plagued with algae.

Knowing that you keep SPS, you really want to target something in the neighborhood of 0.03ppm. Most SPS will brown out at anything over 0.1ppm, and growth is inhibited or prevented all together.

What do you do for phosphate control currently? If you're using GFO, it needs to be changed more often. If you're not running GFO, I'd start. :) But start slowly; decreasing the levels too quickly can be worse than having them higher.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks Evolved!

Funny you say that about browning out SPS, I currently have one SPS that is browning out.

I currently use PhosBan as a phosphate control with bi-weekly (12 gallon) water changes.

I would like to use GFO but I would need to add a reactor, right?

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

PhosBan is GFO. :p

How are you using it? I presume in a bag; it likely doesn't have enough flow. How often do you change it? Certainly yes; a reactor is a much more efficient and effective way to run GFO.

Really, with SPS, less is more. If you can get at/near zero, it would be ideal. True zero actually wouldn't be good, as even SPS need a trace of PO4. However, true zero isn't possible in a reef tank that's receiving regular feedings.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Haha, well it looks like I learned something today. ;)

I have it in a media bag on the overflow (Chamber 1), I change it every 4 days.

I have already measured my stand and I have room for the PhosBan 150 Reactor, maybe ill start a build for it.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Every 4 days if pretty aggressive if it was working properly. I'd tend to think you'd strip it entirely from the water column if that was the case; more reason I suspect it isn't working like it should. Can you get it better flow in the manner you're currently using it? Either way, a reactor is worth your while.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Correction: I use PhosGuard! My bad!

Really? The bottle says "Change every 4 days". :/ I was afraid to leave it, I didn't want to have it leach it back into the water.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_..._Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3251-FIFMCHPR-vi.html

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Oh, then that's a much different story.

PhosGuard is an aluminum oxide product, which will leach once it's reached capacity.

GFO (granular ferric oxide) is much more efficient at phosphate removal and will not leach.

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So your saying I should buy some GFO and I can use that in a filter bag until I install my reactor?

Thanks for the help!

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

You can, but if you don't have enough flow for it, it'll turn into a brick. You also need to give it a really good rinse before use.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks!!!

I can't wait to start my new project.

BTW, the Hanna is amazing!