Best PAR38 Out There?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by KDtrey5, Feb 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

My tank dimensions are 10" by 10" by 12" high. I use an ecoxotic pico arm with 3 strips and it isn't working out for me. The colors are too white, and it just isn't bright enough for what I want. I have been hearing alot about par 38 bulbs and good reviews about them? What is the best one for color and growth? Also I would be happy to sell my pico arm for a very good price! Just let me know if you want it. It would be perfect for refugiums! Also what do I use to put the bulb into? What are the nice holders? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Every one seems to recommend RapidLed's par38 but I got one from ebay and I really like it, just $60 shipped at the time and the white/blue can be dimmed individually. I really like the blue by itself. The only problems with these bulbs is they are heavy, and home store fixtures wont hold them up the gooseneck fixture from RapidLED is the best option for a tank mount but if you wanted diy you could use a lamp kit and metal conduit to make a nice looking fixture. You could do a pendant setup as well. The second problem is it comes from China or Korea so if you lose the remote, which I have a few times, you can not dim the fixture. So a unit from a reputable online company wins on this end.

Sorry RapidLED no longer carries a fixture but Coral Compulsion.com has one similar.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

reefbreeders its full spectrum. If its not full spectrum, its outdated don't buy it.

1 person likes this.
  5. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

+1^ Full spec. is the way to go for sure. Also a good dealer is more likely to use the latest and greatest Leds not just ones that have been on the shelf for the past year or two.

6. KDtrey5

Seems like reef breeders is the way to go. I love the colors. I just want to see what they look like over a tank. Can't find anything.

7. Toallhisdoom

"We tested the PAR of these over a 14" cube, and got the following results: Just under the surface-400, halfway- 275, on the bottom: 150, aorund the edges on the bottom- 100 , all while drawing only 9.5 watts!" quote from reefbreeders

so should do amazing over your tank!

8. Click Here!

9. KDtrey5

10. Toallhisdoom

Here are a few pics. ReefBreeders par38 on left. RapidLed Par 38 on right.

Clearly you can tell who the winner is. ha

Attached Files:

11. KDtrey5

IMO they look the same! The reefbreeders has that bright red tho. Is it too much?

12. Tcox807

Tcox807 Spaghetti Worm

Ecoxotic 20k is the best