Best Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mirosh, Jul 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for the best overflow for the best price. I have a 55 gallon and am making my own sump/fuge. I don't have enough experience when it comes to molding acrylic, so I think I need to buy a decent overflow. I remember seeing one online somewhere before, but can't seem to find it again...it was on a pretty crappy website with a black background and the price for the overflow was only about $25. Anybody know what I am talking about or have other suggestions for finding a good overflow box?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Mike,
    We have used Lifereef overflows with no problems. A little on the spendy side but worth it IMHO. www.lifereef.com
    Scott

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

5. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

Mirosh,

What type of overflow did you go with?

Thanks,
    Mike

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I just went with the one on this website
    http://www.aquacrylics.com/new_acry...box_and_ski.htm

I would have loved to make my own, but I just don't have the time or the tools for that...living in an apartment makes it kinda tough for DIY projects, but I like to do what I can!

It was only $50...which wasn't bad for a good one...I will let ya know what I think about it!

-Mike

7. boostenmkiv

ok thanks, I ended up going with a CPR, but had been a little concerned about its ability to work properly, but I finally got my new tank, sump/refugium setup and the cpr box seems to be working flawlessly..and quiet

8. Click Here!

9. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

i just went with the cpr 100 model , its rated at 800 gph, and i bought the little pump recommended for it. Im curious as to how im supposed to get it to syphon when everything is all hooked up? (installed into sump) perhaps stick the end of the tube into the skimmer pump to get it primed?

also another question: say there was a power outage, would my return nozzle suck water back into the sump through the return pump? allowing gravity to do what it does best?

10. boostenmkiv

hexus0, I will try to answer this the best I can. For my CPR overflow box I also got the aqua lifter pump. I have the sucking or intake end attached to the nipple on the CPR box (had to reseal this as mine started leaking), then I have a hose on the blowing or exhaust side that is attached to the thin solid tube that the CPR box came with (witht he little rubber o-ring). To get it to start siphoning when I first put it on and had NO water in it I had to add some water to the overflow box to get it to start (if you have a failure this amount of water will already be there) and when the power comes back on your aqua lifter will get your siphoning going right away. (TEST this before going "live" to ensure you see how it works)

I'm not totally sure I understand your other question, but I will try to field that as well. Your return nozzle will suck water back into the sump if you don't have a check valve which I would highly recommend getting as you dont want this to happen as you will probably overflow the sump quickly.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

11. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

great thanks. check valve, ill look into it. thanks alot booztenmkiv.

12. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

drilling a hole about 1/2" below the waterline is a lot cheaper and more reliable (can't get stuck open)