Best Over Flow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Regf, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

eshopps for one, they are mainly the type you see. it is a bent clear plastic round tube that goes over the top

2. Click Here!

3. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

How much flow am I looking at if my intake will be going to a fuge and skimmer? 75g dt and 30g sump?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

probably around 500 gph. you could probably do more.

5. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Get the aqualifter with the cpr!! Mine works great, I couldn't see it working any better! If you go on their website you can see the recommended flow rates. I would recommend the CS90 for your setup. It is pricey but you get what you pay for (haha at least in my experience)

6. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

I found em! :) This particular one has two bulkheads on it (I dont know if they are all like this), would this be good since i was going to split the intake to a fuge and skimmer anyways? or should I look for one that has one single bulk head?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its up to you, how you want to do the plumbing. Your gonna end up putting a valve on the hose going to the fuge to reduce the flow anyway. So have a separate hose going from the box or split the hose.

8. Click Here!

9. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Alright thanks sky, if lets say i get an over with a 500gph rate, would my return pump be 500gph as well? It is also going to be travelling about 3 feet up back to the dt, what type and gph should I be looking at here?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

your supposed to be lose 100gph per foot, so that would put you at 800 gph. However you don't want your pump to accidently be more powerful then your overflow. So I would put a valve on the return line too, to turn down your pump if needed.

11. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Great! Any specific brand of return pump I should be looking at?

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

No clue I got a rio hyper flow because it was the cheapest I saw on aquacave.

I have no doubt there are much better ones. but make sure you pay attention to the terms external and submersible.