Best Over Flow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Regf, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey scavenger hunt for my sump is almost done ;D! Looking for an overflow, i have a 75g dt and 30g sump, how my gph should I be looking for in an overflow? and is there any specific brand i should look into? or are they all pretty much the same? I was looking for one to just hang off, not drill into my tank!

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Go with CPR's recommended model. Since you have a 30 gallon sump it should handle a minimum of 300gph, which is what your return pump should be rated maximum at 4 foot head.

5. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

So im looking to buy a CPR CS100 siphon overflow, it has a 800gph rate, so my return pump should be AT LEAST 800gph? from the sump to dt is about 3ft, how do i calculate how much stronger the pump needs to be to cover the distance of the sump bk to the displaytank?

Oh also im going to be splitting the over flow intake into a fuge and skimmer area, if that effects the return pump at all

6. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks, im gonna get a cpr!

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

You are correct but I don't think u will need that much flow. But if that's the flow rate ud like to go with a mag 12 is probably where I would go.

8. Click Here!

9. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

I have no idea as to how much flow is appropriate lol, how much would you say is good for 75dt and 30g sump? Im also going to split the flow up into a fuge and skimmer area tho

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

The problem with the cpr is the aqua-lifter can burn out or clog. I would rather get one with a U-tube.

11. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

what types have a utube sky?

12. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

+1 go with a eshopps overflow. They use a u-tube and you dont have to worry about a pump going out of air getting trapped. I used one for a while before I got a drilled tank and never had an issue.