Best Nano Tank Kit or Pieces?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by AquaStudent, Dec 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Astrea Snail

Hello 3reef

I'm. Idiots on yalls opinions. I've seen info on JBJ 12gs aqua pod 14gs and was wondering what is the best? Are these kits better or would piecing together a system by buying pieces (tank, heater, power heads) be better.

I'd like to discuss shape o he tank, price, product quality, aesthetics, and whatever else you think is important.

Gracias

2. Click Here!

3. TheMightyMac

TheMightyMac Bristle Worm

4. Gboy66

Gboy66 Gigas Clam

People here bump too much.

I'd say buying a used biocube would be the best deal. Alot of times thise cubes are good, but their components all need to be upgraded eventually. I would either

A. Buy a nice, but used cube
    Or B. Buy whatever tank you wabt, and customize it with all the equpiment you want, but for more money

5. TheMightyMac

i only bumped because this thread is quite old and nobody was ever going post on it.

i hadnt even thought of a used tank! thanks for the idea.

1 person likes this.
  6. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Haha good thing you bumped! Over a couple months old. I'd say used tank, or just get one of those FW tetra kits and try to find a heater, 20" lighting system (nova is good and really cheap IMO) it comes with a HOB filter but for 20 bucks you could get a aquaclear 20 for it, and it wouldn't be hard to add a refugium

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had the

JBJ 12, 14 and 28 gallon, the bigger the better.
    Aquapod a good tank.
    Bio-cube a good tank.

If you want to go up in price I could go on and on.

Thank you MightyMac for bumping for those on the pm shift. :)

8. Click Here!

9. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

pico aquariums I believe make a good nano product worth checking out

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

IMO get a longer, wider, somewhat shallow tank. They offer more fish options and have more surface area and IMO they look nicer. Cube tanks are really nice to. I recommend ROX carbon, a refugium, and if you want a small skimmer if you want a higher bioload. I recommend GFO or biopellets and a skimmer if you want a full out sps tank. I like LED's, I've heard Kessil, Maxspect Mazarra's, Ecotech Radion's, AI SOL, Rapid LED DIY kits, Ecoxotic PAR lamps, Ecoxotic Panorama PRO's, Boost LED, Orphek, etc are very nice. My next choice would be T5HO lights. If you want soft and/or LPS corals I would go with a cheaper less powerful LED light or a 2 buld T5HO fixture. For flow I like Tunze, Sinnce, and Ecotech Vortech/Koralia's. For softies and LPS 15 times the tank volume seems nice. 20+ If you want SPS. Go with a high quality heater too, they are very important even though it doesn't seem like it. The stuff I just mentioned cost BANK to!

11. TheMightyMac

I agree that shorter tanks are nice, but you do have to consider the massive evaporation you may get.

12. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 29 biocube I bought up and running for a good price. I liked it so much I just bought a used 14g biocube off of CL. Paid $100 for the tank, stand, live sand, and live rock. I ended up tossing the sand and letting the rock dry out to get the algae off. There are some good deals out there, keep looking for the used ones