Best/Most Efficient way to take a tank down?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ZC42, May 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey, guys,

So I'm taking my SW down (46 g, FOWLR, not much livestock except for a big CUC) and making it into a FW tank. What's the best way to clean it, (I've heard the vinegar method works well) and get rid of all the sand and water and stuff like that? Any help is much appreciated :) also in terms of CUC, if anyone wants some hermits or snails pm me for a deal!

Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Your right, vinegar is best. Good luck on your new FW and don't forget to post some pics :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ZC42

Definitely!! Thanks so much. So I just scoop out the sand (and hope not to be stung by the stray bristleworm :))

5. NanaReefer

An easier way to do it would be to siphon out the sand at the same time your draining the tank :) you may not get all of it by the time the waters gone but you'll get most of it! I don't envy you, it's a dirty job. Lol

6. ZC42

Oh thanks!! In terms of disposal, should I just throw it in a garbage bag and the water in the backyard?

7. NanaReefer

I just added mine to my gravel driveway ;) no sense wasting a garbage bag. It'll dry up and you'll never notice it. Just don't add it to any grassy areas.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Sad to see youre taking your tank down I know you started it up only a month or two before me. What made you decide to go FW?

10. twelvebeer

twelvebeer Spaghetti Worm

I dont know if it could be a problem but I personally wouldnt dump a lot of saltwater in the backyard near any trees. I wouldnt think the trees would like saltwater!

11. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

The best way I have found is to use a garden hose(and a pump if you have one) to put the water down a floor drain or toilet. Don't suck any sand up!! Use big dust pans and 5 gallon buckets to get most of the substrate out.(if you have aragonite sand, you can rinse and reuse it in your FW tank. It is beyond the scope of this post but I am sure you can google it.) Take tank outside and rinse with garden hose. Let dry in the sun upside down. Bam! You are done!

12. ZC42

I'm going to Boarding school in the fall, so I have to make something my parents and younger siblings can manage :( although I love ropefish and I think I can make a nicer looking FW than SW aquarium so it's not all bad :)