Best meaty/frozen fish food for smaller fish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kevin_E, Jan 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have a small clown, small blue damsel, sixline, small anthias and a watchman goby. I am feeding them Cobalt flake food (44% protien, 10% fat) but would like to include a meaty diet for them ass well. Do you have any suggestions? I have some mysis (10% protein, 1% fat), which I feed a few times a week, but it is pretty nutritionally limited.

Is Rod's Food my best option? Which one?

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I lvoe the RODS pacific plankton which is like a small krill. Fish and corals love it.

Kevin_E likes this.
  4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Kevin_E likes this.
  5. PghSteeler

I tried the PE mysis and ended up swithcing to the RODs after it came out with the pacific plankton.

The PE mysis smells TERRIBLE!!! It also seems to cloud the water a bit if used heavily and not rinsed well. I hate rinsing frozen foods because you look a lot of the small particulate matter that the corals would otherwise enjoy. No rinsing needs with RODs. Also PE mysios are larger than the RODs pacific plankton. Depending on what you aere trying to feed that may or may not be an issue.

PE mysis is a good product though and I would have no problems supporting it to other reefers, I jsut found other foods I like better :)

Kevin_E likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Check out Dr. G's frozen omnivore reef buffet and LRS frozen foods. Way better than rods in my opinion for smaller fish. I used PE mysis for a long time and got tired of rinsing before I fed. I use Dr. G's mysis which is true saltwater shrimp instead of freshwater plus no rinsing at all and just as much protien. Very balanced and nutritious foods.

Kevin_E likes this.
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Rod's team.

Kevin_E likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Kevin_E likes this.
  10. PghSteeler

So many good foods out there realy, a lot claim to be the one and only with all the variety you need.

Honestly I think you still need to mix it up! For the daily feed I just use the NLS thera A pellets. Mix up the frozen foods for a few times a week and of coruse their are garlic soaks, selcon soaks, amino acid soaks, and reef chili to mix in!

Clowns and damsels will eat almost anything and dont have any special needs. Whatever you feed as long as its a quality food will be good. The wrasse will eat almsot anything as well and also pick rocks all day for whatever it can find and does not need any special care. I am not fmailair with keeping t he goby but IMO the fish you need to worry about is the anthias. Depending on your variety t hey may be very finicky and need to eat multiple times a day. Having a mature reef and refugium will go a long way and in addition fine foods such as the reef chili and the small particles of the rods regular will be good for them. Dont bother with the Rods herbivore blend, too much algae in it for what you need. I dont have any experience with Dr G or limpets reef buffet, but they are probably pretty equal to the RODS, jsut look at the websites. For me it comes down to what I can find locally for a good price while still providing what I need. NLS pellets, reef chili, and RODs do great and I have used a few different dips as well for amino acids.

Kevin_E likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree that variety is key! Rods and all the others are very good options and NLS Thera A pellets are my fishes main staple. I'm also a fan of selcon big time!

Kevin_E likes this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid