Best lighting for 220g Sps Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by familiar1985, Nov 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. familiar1985

familiar1985 Bristle Worm

Im setting up a rimless tank with dimensions 5' by 3' by 2' height. Total system water volume should be around 280g.

Im trying to pick out a nice lighting system. My tank is 70% Sps.

I would like to mount the light fixure to hang from the wall or ceiling.

What are some really nice fixtures, quality and looks? My stand and furniture will be modern so i want something that will look nice with the tank.

I like the geisemann 250w halide and t5 combo fixtures. Would 250w halides be enough light? Would 400's be better?

I was also considering using 2 400w 20k halides with some nice reflectors.

What's the best setup between these and any other?

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

giesseman have some attractive lights with the unso attractive price tag.

250w mh/t5 combo will be more than sufficient for a 24" deep tank.

4. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

MH all the way!

Retrofit and save $.

5. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i use an ati powermodule 10x80 watt on my 250 gallon (5x3x27") Fixture is very modern and hangs from the ceiling. My par is 300-350 in the sand and thats 31-32 inches off. 300range is enuf for clams ect.

heres a pic with just two kz fiji purple bulbs on:

[​IMG]

Dennis

1 person likes this.
  6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

youll save more in avoiding heat issues, bulb replacement and energy consumption by using t5s vs metal halide. Also in a tank at my lfs where they grow sps frags i took my par meter with me. tank is 30 inches deep and par about 2 feet down in the front portion of the tank (about 6-8 inches) par was lucky to hit 100-150 under 3 400 watt radiums using sunlight supply lumen max elite reflectors. Par was good directly under the bulbs at around 400-500 20 inches down or so...my ati has superior even lite spread. I can put any sps or clam anywhere i please in my tank.

7. HardCor

HardCor Astrea Snail

Go metal halide bud, t5 are weak!!!! only good for supplementing actinic,especially if you have 70% HardO.....SPS. Its like comparing Hundai and a Vette .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i want some of what hes smoking!

10. familiar1985

familiar1985 Bristle Worm

its hard to pick between mh and ati pm as there are so many mixed feelings. IMO the best setup iv seen is 400w or 1000w 20k mh.

Iv been leaning toward mh because my lfs also uses mh and their corals look really good. They use 1000w 20ks over frags to color them up and 400w 14k in their Main for SPS. They use T5s for their zoas/lps/and other softies. they really know what they are doing so i dunno if i would be willing to go in a different direction although i really like the look of the ati fixture.

Another plus with mh for me is that i can have them higher up from water. I would like to have them like atleast 1' of water surface. I imagine with t5's more light would get out. Im not worried about heat issues as tank is completely open.

11. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

you could go for 400's would have to raise em a lil higher compared to 250's.

12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Whatever u want is up to u, cause a fish store has success one way doesnt mean its the only way. I was on the fence as well on what i wanted...i bought a par meter and found out readings and facts for myself. Most people post opinions based what what they read and what bandwagon they decided to jump on.