Best heaters on the market?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by SaltyClown, Sep 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Just curious to know what your opinions are on what heaters are the best. Since fall is upon us, I'm looking to get new backup heaters in case my Aquion fails. Also, do you run more than one heater for your tank? At the moment, I'm using 1 heater for my 75.

2. Click Here!

3. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I have always heard things about the Cobalt Neotherm, I hear they are quite good but a tad bit expensive. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater.html They are currently on sale at bulk reef supply. I only run 1 heater on my 75 and I also have an Aquion. I use a APEX controller that controls my heater so it is basically impossible for it to fail on the on position so I am very confident I will have no problems. It wouldn't hurt to get an extra just in case, especially if winter is nearing for you and it gets cold.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

My favorite is the Via Aqua Titanium.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

+1 to the Cobalt Neo-therm. I have three... Two on my reef tank and one on my freshwater. Never had an issue with any of them and they are very well made.

7. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I went with Jager after reading too many occurrences of the neotherms blowing up. It seemed like it was centered around a particular wattage, but I had that happen to me twice with stealth heaters and wasn't going to risk it. I've been shocked once pretty good by a bad heater and I don't want to repeat that. I've also have too much time and money in the tank to not go with a heater with the best reliability. I ran a Via Aqua for a long time that was trouble free, but I passed on the new digital ones after reading some reviews you have to reset your temp if they lose power. That was a no go since I have a lot of lightening storms in my area and unplug the tank during. Would have been a hassle for me. I only run one heater controlled by an apex, with the heater thermostat set slightly above my target temp. I don't buy into the logic of running two small heaters.

Billme and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well said. Not too much discussion about heaters but they scare the crap out of me.I tried one stealth and that was enough for me.

10. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I have always had great luck with the ehiem jager!

11. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

I use Ehiem Jagers and Finnex Titanium. Have a Sera in my 75 also, worked great but I heard they went up in price last year.