Best glue to use underwater to glue frags to rock

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Kevin_E, Dec 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Any suggestions? Superglue won't work underwater and I can't pull out the rock work to glue it out of the water. I tried roll-able epoxy, but it didn't work well either (the rock that the frag is glued to just fell out of the epoxy), but that may be because the epoxy is several years old.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Superglue Gel.

You have to be patient though and hold the piece.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How long does it take to set up? I Have a lot of pieces to glue.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I usually hold a piece anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. Gel works regular super glue does not.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

If the frag is already on a plug or small rock, you can attach it to the aquascape with holdfast or "mighty putty"

7. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

8. Click Here!

9. hnnhflns

hnnhflns Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've used super glue brand super glue, super glue from the hardware store, cor-a-fix, and ic-gel super glue. So far the ic-gel has worked the best. You do have to let it cure a little in air first, so you can't just glue and then put back in the tank.

The others that I tried failed and the frags just floated away...

10. SeymourDuncan

SeymourDuncan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use dollar store super glue gel no matter what I am gluing. When it is a situation like yours I will hold what I am attaching in my hand, put a generous amount of gel on all the points of contact which ate determines by placing the piece in the spot you plan for it. Once you glue the piece drip a drop of tank water on each glue glob and count to 18. Then dive in and press it into place then what I do is wiggle the piece a bit until the glue starts to whiten. That us when you press it firmly into position and hold it for 30 seconds. My pencil urchin has never knocked down anything that was glued.

I also use the same technique when gluing frags. I have even glued a few zoanthid polyps to a turbo snail that stayed on for 3 months before getting peeled off by shell growth lol.

Honestly I have never tried anything but superglue gel and do not plan on it. I wish I could get 5 g buckets of it.

I probably build a house with superglue haha.

A strengthening tip: ( not aquarium safe).

Mix the superglue with ashes. Cigarette, fireplace, grill, whatever. Any fine ash mixed with superglue will basically make a carbon cement. It even increases the temperature of the glues curing process. In fact it burns like mad if it is on your fingers. When it dries it is extremely solid. It works for quick fix emergency plumbing leaks and even in your car on various hoses. Being mainly carbon it bonds to pretty much anything on the planet that is a solid. Water also increases curing time in this type if situation.

11. jasonak

jasonak Plankton

Im the same super glue gel all the way! I use the no name brand cheap as i can find it stuff as long as its gel Ive never had a pro.local reef store guy has a gallon bucket full of this generic super glue gel and thats all he uses as well.

12. chrissypoo

chrissypoo Plankton

EcoTechs' glue is amazing. Takes like 2 seconds to cure enough to hold frags upright. It is worth the extra cost.