Best filter for a 30 gallon

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by reefraf, May 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefraf

reefraf Astrea Snail

What is the best filter i can get for my 30 gallon reef tank. i currently have a aquaclear 50 and it does an ok job, but it lets alot of junk settle to the ground. does anyone have a recommendation. would an aquaclear 110 be overkill? thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I don't think there's such a thing as too much filtering. (Too much water flow, that's a different concern.) I have a 20-year-old large Aquaclear with a waterfall return for my 45 gallon tank. I think the modern equivalent would be an Aquaclear 110.
    If you have "alot of junk" settling on the bottom of the tank, either you're feeding too much or you don't have enough water flow through the tank. There will always be spots where stuff collects, but there shouldn't be that much stuff or that many places where it is settling.

1 person likes this.
  4. sventhemac

sventhemac Astrea Snail

I have an Emperor 400 on my 30 tall. Puffer looked bored so I gave the messy eater an overkill filter plus now I don't need any other powerheads in the tank. Just rearrange decorations to change the high flow areas.

5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I just added a couple of air stones and they've made a big difference in the water flow patterns. My filter is pulling in much more stuff -- I have to change the filter medium more often.

6. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue

I have a 30 gallon and i only run a CPR BakPak protien skimmer and one koralia 2. A tank our size doesn not need more than this.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would ditch the filters and go with a good quality skimmer. An AquaC Remora Pro or an Octopus BH-100F.

8. Click Here!

9. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

Totally agree with That. A skimmer will do a better Job at keeping the tank clean.

10. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

i have the 350 (one size smaller) on my 10 but i turned it into a fuge

11. Mr.McFish

Mr.McFish Plankton

I have a emperor 400 also on my 30 gallon tall i dont have a skimmer cause ive read that i dont need a skimmer because i have a thick bed of crushed corral and filter feeders do u agree with this aspect??????

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It's true that you don't NEED a skimmer, but they sure do help.