Best corals to grow on the back plastic of nano cube tank?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mr.Bubbles, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

I have 2 nano cube tanks.one 14g and one 28g..the 14g is about 7 yrs old,has a brand new hood with brand new bulbs (thanks Oceanic BioCube warranty), and the back of the tank looks cool..its covered in coraline algae..and the 28g is brand new so the back of the tank is just black plastic.. but i would like something much cooler..there is a 300g tank at LFS that has green star polyps covering about a 10x15 section of the back wall of the tank..this had to take years to accidentally happen..i want to do something similar with things that glow under blue and purple lights..i love green star polyps so they are a def go to option..but certain xenia or mushrooms that glow clould be really cool as well..but u have to frag xenia way too often..and i dont even know if it will work? Has anyone done this? Any success? My tank both have plastic back walls..also i dont know alot about corals..is there a perfect coral for this application..or even a couple fast growing corals that will grow on plastic together?..any discussion or ideas welcome...

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Xenia is known for growing on glass, plastic, or anything else in the tank so it might work. Outside of GSP, I'm not sure about anything else that would take to it. As far as multiple types, you have to be careful. Most corals have "turf wars" in the wild, either with stinging sweeper tentacles or by releasing toxins into the water to kill off neighboring corals to make room for their own colony to grow. Many aquarists have learned the hard way that the same also occurs in the tank, so it's always important to keep some distance between different species.

4. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

I like gsp so much ill prob just stick with that..i have a HUGE rock full of spiderwebbing lines perfect for fragging..altho they are living successfully very close to mushrooms..

5. lps1212

lps1212 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the only thing i ever kept on my back wall was gsp after it takes off it looks like one big shag rug on the back of the wall and easy to scrapof if you wanna give someone some plus keeps your rock from gettin taken over

6. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

Ive got some xenia attaching to the back..pics when it happens..i am also very close to being able to frag my gps and attach to back of tank plastic

7. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

Does anyone have pics of anything like this?

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I have seen both pulsing xenia and GSP on the back and the xenia looks alot better IMO. Also i'm not 100% sure but I think GSP released chemicals into the water that stun the growth of SPS. Something to consider/research more about if you wanted to ever keep GSP.

10. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

My internal overflow is covered with yellow polyps...and I just noticed that I have some Green Palys growing on the glass...its a good look.
    mine occurred naturally by leaning something with a growing colony against something I want them to grow on...same way I make trade frags...just put a piece of rubble in the middle of a colony of whatever...and in a couple weeks, you have some newbies on the rubble. : ) works for me.
    I also seen where you can use the velcro magnet cleaners as a holder for your frag until the corals begin to grow on the glass..
    good luck. : ) its worth the trouble IMO.

11. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles Astrea Snail

Thank u for the advice..this is troubling and concerning about gsp killing or harming sps..i have one sps that is def strougling to hang on...its not close but in decent proximity to the gsp..anyone else heard of or had this issue?

12. DJ_in_WV

DJ_in_WV Plankton

palys and zoa with grow on the glass, cap, udula, and the encrusting montis will also