Best Clowns to Breed?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by CuddleFish, Mar 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CuddleFish

CuddleFish Astrea Snail

Hello!!!
    I'm going to be starting up a 29g biocube in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to get a pair of mated clowns(and eventually breed them). I've seen a few different types at the stores that are already mated pairs (Picasso, Black Ocellaris)
    I would really like to get hooked up with something neat like the Picasso clowns just because i plan to only have the two clowns in the tank. (with obviously LR, an anemone, and all the dressings...)

What are the best breed of clown fish to buy, with what i'd like to do in mind?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

I think I personally would say black and whites. The maroons are a complete pain to breed!!!

4. CuddleFish

CuddleFish Astrea Snail

Yeah my boyfriend and I have a maroon clown in our 55 and once tried to get a pair together. the one we already owned went on a fin eating rampage.

what do you mean by black and whites?!
    you mean the black and white (ocellaris?)

5. rodcpierce

yes, im sorry. Black and White ocellaris. A good buddy of mine has a pair of mated Maroons, but trying to get the fry to live is insanelly hard!! I have heard that the black and whites are quite abit easier. He has a pair right now that he is working on getting to mate, so should have more information on that shortly.

6. CuddleFish

CuddleFish Astrea Snail

That's awesome, keep me updated! The only mated pair we've seen around were already sold at one of our local stores. Ever known anyone who did the whole mail order thing with marine species?

7. rodcpierce

I know a few people that have ordered from liveaquaria.com and have had nothing but success! They just had a mated pair of black and whites on there in the divers den area for 125.00 but I see they were gone in the blink of an eye. Anyhow, check them out and I do believe they have some sort of "arrive alive" guarantee.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CuddleFish

CuddleFish Astrea Snail

that's awesome thanks so much for the info
    i'm for sure going to be looking into a pair of the black and white's and the site you said to check out was really awesome and is now going to be part of my "favourites" list so i can check it out every now and then:)
    ty again!

10. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

Clowns are more likely to spawn without any other inhabitants in the tank; including anemones. B&W occs are a good choice, and also a market for them. Just so you know, getting them to spawn is the easy part. Get the fry past metamorphosis is a challenge

11. ClowningAround

ClowningAround Bristle Worm

I have a pair of black and white occelaris that I hope will breed soon, and a pair of picassos, and true percs. I just picked clowns that I like for 1 and for 2 that are normally in a demand at my LFS so if/when they actually do breed I can sell them to the store.

Also start researching on how to culture rotifers and phytoplankton because that is what you will need for when the time comes to raise the fry. Goodluck!!

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I, also, am preparing to breed clowns. I have a pair of ocellaris. Perculas are good also. It would not be worth shipping out, as these clowns are pretty cheap to get at LFS in the first place, but with ocellaris you could probably get $5 a piece from an owner of a local store. They do their markup, avoid the shipping costs (losses included) and it's a win-win situation.

Just don't get into breeding a clown that does not sell. Tomato clowns are a good example of a clown that is pretty easy to breed, but no one will by them in bulk. Everyone wants Nemo.

My best advise to you is to visit your local fish stores and flat out ask them if they would be interested in purchasing from you, what species they would accept on a routine basis and for what price.