Best cheap LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anemone King, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Where's the review????;)

I think he'l like them but he learned the hard way to upgrade the drivers from the maxwells to the mean wells. Sorry again bro;(

Yeah, seems like the quality took a major jump in the last year. A year or so ago, there were TONS of threads about fires, smoking, popping noises, melting, etc, I haven't read a negative thread about them in quite awhile.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Burn our house down? I guess I missed something when I researched before I bought mine.

My TaoTronic LED's- I have 2 x 120W

and my

SC150 skimmer

between these two quality items, I probably saved at least $500+ right there alone on getting good quality equipment.

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

6 words.... you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to led's. ive tried taking the cheap way out and end up spending more money over the long run, because the systems usually fail and leave you needing to buy a full priced high quality system.

5. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

If we are talking build quality... the taotronics looks professional. I have only had mine running for 2 weeks now though so I can't determine one way or the other in terms of reliability.

You could argue that maybe the light spectrum is off or something I guess, but it seems like people are getting good results thus far.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I KNOW I am.

And, I got WAY more than I paid for, based on the price of other LED's.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vinnyboombatz
    I did.

Where's the review????

There are several review threads here on 3 reef.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I don't have them yet. They are shipped and I am waiting.;)
    It is natural for people to think that just because something is lower in price it has to mean it won't last or is of poor quality. While this maybe true it was worth it to me to give this unit a try. After all when Toyota first started selling cars here people said the same thing.They are cheaply made and won't last.We all know how that turned out.lol Considering I needed new T5 bulbs anyway ($120.00) for the money I calculated that even if these only last two years(which is the waranty period) I will still save money in electricity,and bulb costs. Two years of bulb replacement alone is more then I paid for two of these fixtures.;)
    It also gives me a chance to do something I like. Give others an honest review of my personal experience with them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I went with aquastyle and have had good results so far and a lot of people over at nano-reef have had success.

11. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

Or Hyundai or Kia for that matter.

Good to give reviews!