Best brand salt mix to use?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

is there any particular brand of salt mix that is above the rest? or one brand to stay away from. going to by more and had problems with my coral life brand. wanted some input prior to purchase

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

The most used brand is Instant Ocean. I use Reef Crystals which are made by the same company as Instant Ocean. The Reef Crystals have added trace elements and vitamins especially for reef tanks. I've also heard that mixing diiferent brands can be toxic. So be careful.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think It is up to you what you use. I think most use instant Ocean. Whats most important is that you stay with the same salt, I've heard nasty stories of switching salt and having system crashes

I've also heard great things about Reef Crystals.
    I believe Oceanic has bought Kent and that is were the new Oceanic salt will be made so Oceanic and Kent Salt will be the same.

J

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

so if i switch to ocean chrystals then i have to start my entire water over again , or face a crasH?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Not necessarily I have heard of crashes when salt has been switched over but it doesn't happen always. I think your tank is young enough to handle a Salt switch. You could start with a smaller water change than normal and ensure the CA Alk and PH is the same as the tank then gradually switch over.

J

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Gradual changes always in reefing.

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i was using IO and have been using Red Sea i had no problems switching and it seems to work fine just im able to get it in big buckets that last me forever where the IO i can only get in small boxes and im always buying salt

10. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok..just bought a bucket of Oceanic brand salt. mixes 200 gallons. anyone use this brand yet? all i could find in bucktes around here.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I hope you are not doing another water change!

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

LOL.... no.  when i got i thought you might ask that.  the store only gets one in at a time so i wanted to pick it up now so i have it on hand.. i was completely out LOL   ... nope not touching tank AT All for a while.

except to top off