Best brand of refractometer?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jlongwell, Dec 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

Up until recently, I was using a cheapo no-name refractometer I got off of ebay for about $25. It was cheap, but worked for my purposes.

Anyway, I had it in my hand while walking, stumbled, and stepped on it when I attempted to catch myself. It doesn't work so well when it's in three pieces...

I read a post recently about refractometers. Someone mentioned a specific brand/model, claiming it was one of the few affordable models that is produced specifically for the aquarium hobby.

Does anyone know the brand/model (or suggesstions)? I can't find that post anywhere.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I love mine. I'll get you an answer shortly. It's about 80 bucks though, or it was 3 years ago.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I love my bulk reef supply one , $50

5. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

BRS is out of stock :(

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

7. BUGz

BUGz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've been using a Vee-Gee brand for the last 6 months and it is made for our salinity scale, not beer making, antifreeze etc as many others are. It also has a dial for easy/accurate calibration and not a screw like the cheapo's. The build quality simply does not compare to the cheapo's, it is a quality made instrument!

This is another one of those things in this hobby that I wish I would had bought quality from the beginning!
    Vee Gee Scientific STX-3 Handheld Refractometer, with Salinity Scale, 0-100, +/-1.0 Accuracy, 1.0 Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've used the generic Foster Smith one for several years and still works great. I think most are actually rebranded. Just make sure to get Automatic Temperature Calibration.

10. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

This makes sense to me, considering I'm having one hell of a time finding specific brand names for the ones sold by the major online retailers (BRS, F&S, etc.).

I'll probably end up ordering the one from F&S. Don't need anything fancy...just something that's not a piece of crap and that can get here in a couple days. I was in the middle of mixing up a batch of water for a WC when I dropped the thing yesterday...

11. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I really like my dd h2ocean refracto and its specifically for aquarium use.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have either a BRS or F&S (they are the same as far as I can tell) and have had no issues with it after 7 months. As mentioned get the ATC model, and get yourself a bottle of 35 PPT calibration fluid. Use it every time you use it.