Best Aquarium Controller

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gabbyr189, Nov 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I am down to two now but had 4. Two power strips moon light controller and the slc with the salinity port not the orp port. I am down to just one strip because one got wet and I don't have the moon lights on my new light now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I only ask because I have heard you could add a large amount of modules to the rkl.Thanks,Daniel

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i had another brand controller first, i was never happy with it. i now have an Apex,and LOVE it they are a quality controller that you can keep adding on to. the apex has preset modes that make it great for those who don't ant to get int codes, and they have the advanced were you put your own codes in it. it can be programmed to do all kinds of things, i have the salt probe the ph probe and the temp probe. still want to add a water on floor sensor. but I'm not getting to much info on that as far as what sensor to buy, there are mixed writes up on it . once i find the info I'm looking for that will be added.

apex is my second controller the first one i purchased ( another brand) i didn't like at all and is no comparison to the apex quality or ease of use. apex is very well thought out

5. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I have a reef angel with everything included, ph probe, temp probe, auto top off sensors..might be more i'll check if theres interest. I just can't take the time to learn it... If anyone wants to purchase it pm me..$175 plus shipping. I think its 200 new (last time I checked)

Sorry to jump in the thread but i figured its relevant incase anyone wanted one that was coming to this thread.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Think this through for future expansions. I used a ACIII and loved the expansions I could make with it. I used it for control of room ventilation as well as all tank controls. I would probably choose the Apex now since it's the next generation controller and I already understand the programming language. Also keep in mind if you put these things online with a static IP address you can log in and get readings and have it e-mail you if something get outside of safe reading.

7. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

a little more up on the price chart, but I love my Profilux!!!! absolutely love it!!!

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Okay everyone. There are so many features on these things that it is really difficult to compare. There seems to be fans of all brands. What is the best I can do for under $300? I am looking for one with a lot of module space and I would love a pH probe to start. If no pH probe, I can spring for this myself. I am asking my parents for this and I doubt they will spend 500 bucks for one with all the features I want. I will want to eventually want to add the wireless internet feature.

It seems like the RKL's have very limited module space.. Is there a way around this? I don't want to have to buy another unit in the future because I run out of space. I would prefer just a base unit that doesn't come with a lot of accessories but has a lot of module space over one that I will run out of space quickly.

Any thoughts?

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

You can only have four plus the itemp. If you find you need more space they have a trade in program where they give you 100bux(I think) for your lite to trade in for the elite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm debating whether to get this or an Apex Jr.

I'm thinking the Reef Angle is a better deal. Is the software an additional cost?

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Now $219, new. I'm not sure how much tax is.