beginner corals

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by simonquirk, Jan 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. simonquirk

simonquirk Plankton

Hi ive been keeping marine/tropical fishes all my life and have only recently started keeping corals. This is a whole new ball game, how do i know when my corals are feeding and can you recomend some corals that are easy to keep and grow quickly, and ofcourse look great? all answers from you experts would be fantastic

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Most corals do not need to be supplementarily fed, however, it will make them grow faster. Some really good beginner corals are mushrooms, zoas, xenia, leathers; some lps corals good for beginners are brains, open and closed, favia trumpets/candy canes, frogspawns and bubbles. Just make sure to research what each coral requires before buying it.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

What kind of lighting do you have? All of the corals that guitarman stated are pretty easy. The LPS are slightly harder than the softies. The easiest corals out there are probably zoanthids and xenia IMO.

5. simonquirk

simonquirk Plankton

thanks, i have a 150 halide light. my tank is a aqua medic percular 90, cost me a grand so im hoping this will let me have a stunning tank. i have all live rock and want to start growing a stunning garden, but i dont totally understand the physics of keeping everything perfect

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

The most important thing in reefing is keeping all of the parameters near perfect, or preferably perfect. I would brush up on water parameters just to be safe.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you are starting a reef aquarium, you will need to pay attention to more parameters than you are now. Here is an outline of the test kits you will need to upgrade your system.

Fish only: NH4, NO2, NO3, pH
    LPS and Softies: Add Ca, Mg, PO4 and ALK
    SPS: Add Sr and K

I would buy an Iodine test kit just to do monthly checkups. This is a very tweaky element to add to your tank, so you need to be cautious. Personally, I do not plan to add any. I use my test to see if I have too much (from the trace elements I add).

Here is what I consider required reading that will give you an idea of the relationship between Ca, Mg, ALK and pH.

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com