beginner coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by 99tmsmith, May 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

what coral would be better for a beginner?
    a Electric Torch Coral
    or a Fluorescent Tip Torch Coral
    or any other suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Not really sure if the hardiness varies between the specific varieties, but any of the Euphyllias (frogspawn, torch, hammer, octo) are good beginner corals.

4. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Brains (trachys and lobos), candy canes, and any of the softies are also good places to start.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Zoas/Palys, Mushrooms, Candy Cane, other softies if you can keep them in control (i.e. Kenya Tree, Xenia, Anthelia, Green Star Polyps) would all be starter corals. Once you find any of these corals can thrive (i.e. reproduce/grow/clone, not just stay alive), then move on to those a bit more challenging, which is where I would put Euphyllia corals such as Torch Coral.

6. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

cool thank you i'll look at the candy canes, the green star polyps. also i was looking at some coral online and saw some coral are aggressive. Should i stay away from those or what does that really mean? Does that mean they will sting other corals? . i have 2 clown and a six line wrasse

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, typically an aggressive coral means aggression towards other corals.

Look at Toadstools (Sarcophyton), always a good beginning coral, hardy and grows fast. Clowns are known to reside in Toadstools. Cabbage corals (Sinularia) is an excellent beginner coral. Neither Toadstools or Cabbage will over run your tank, both are tolerant of less than ideal water chemistry.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

Finger leathers and tree (aka "colt") corals are fairly hardy and peaceful, as well. Do beware of the cauliflower colt (Klyxum)- it is highly aggressive and will readily stretch its soft branches to reach and kill other coral species.

10. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

I guess I'll ask something too, my tank is 80gal, will I be able to keep coral with some anemones or no? And if so what anemones do you recommend?

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Absolutely. :)

BTA, Rock Flower, and Maxi-Mini are the most popular choices. They're fairly hardy and tend to stay in one place once they find a suitable location. LTA, Carpet, and Sebae nems are more difficult, and although indisputably the easiest of all, the Condy (Hatian/Atlantic) nem packs a more potent sting and is known to move around aimlessly.

12. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

Thank you I'm gonna go to a coral store i found online about a 30minute from my house. I'm gonna see if they have a Toadstools leather coral or a Cabbage corals.