Beat-up T-Bar female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by ragc, Jul 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Many of you may have been following my posts on the fry my T-bars have been raising. It had been going so well...!

Last night my wife called me to let me know she could not find the female. I looked but she was not to be found, either floating or swimming. I waited until "lights out" and turned the lights on momentarily, and saw her swimming. I didn't leave the lights on but for a second, so I didn't notice anything. This morning she was hidden again.

When I got home from work today I spotted her tail sticking straight up among the amazon swords. I tried to net the body, but she swam away, and the male chased her, biting her. After a while I was able to net her and transfer her to my hospital tank. She is in bad, bad shape, with torn fins, missing scales, bloody wounds, etc. I don't think she will make it...

I had noticed that after the fry got pretty big, they both had changed into their normal colors, and she had started her digging again, as if preparing to breed. He chased her, but this was the same as they courted before. I saw her bite him when cornered once, and he seemed to bite back, but didn't think much of it. Now I know better!

What should I do? Are the fry safe with the father? I was planning to leave them in the tank 2 more weeks, but now I don't know... Any advice is welcome.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Well, she didn't make it...

Lady Jaguar was a beautiful fish, and I'm happy to have her fry. Maybe one of her daughters will be as beautiful.