Beat All Odds

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Sep 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I love all kinds of fish. I have gold fish, a salt water reef & a discus tank @ present. I loved the challenge that all presented. I'm not always happy with my tanks. Right now, my reef needs work.

I have the discus beause I have read everywhere that they are called "The King of Fish " & very difficult to keep. I love the challenge. I was told that having 2 adult discus in a 30 gallon was impossible. Well, here I am, proof that it can be done. ( & yes, they are both beautiful & happy )

Everywhere I read said I needed @ least a 20 gallon for 1 fancy gold fish. When I read something like that, I rise to the challenge & try to beat the odds.

For 5 years I had an adult fantail, black moor & comet in a 10 gallon tank. None of them hovered in the corner. The tank was the first thing to be seen as you entered our home. We received many favourable coments. I did spend alot of time keeping the gravel & filter clean as gold fish create alot of waste. I have just recently lost my black moor & comet. The fantail continues to do well. It was 5 years before I lost my first fish in this tank. I will add no more fish till the fantail is gone. It wouldn't be fair, but then, I'll start all over again.

I don't have any questions. I just wrote this to tell everyone that, if you are ready to invest alot of time & effort, you can beat all odds & raise beautiful , happy & healthy fish.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

how big is you five year old comet?

I personally think that tank is way to small, there is a limit to pushing it.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Well I guess I should have asked how big was it when you lost it?

I have 4 comets(1.5 yrs) in a 55, all of them are 7 inches or bigger(including tails).

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i don't think that they give you the minimum tank size to say that these fish can't survive in a tank that small. The question is whether it is humane to keep them in a tank that small. I could probably keep a st. bernard alive in my tiny apartment with no backyard. However, in my opinion it would not be fair to the dog even though he would still be breathing.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Wow, not trying to be rude but i dont agree with that at all. Its not about beating the odds at all. A tang needs a 4 foot tank at min for a reason. Not bc it cant be done in a 1-3 foot tank but because its the best for the fish to be happy and survie. I mean of course the gold fish will swim around but that doesnt mean u beat the odds and the fish is happy.....

7. oceansurf

I told you my experience. Now, you tell me about gold fish in a 10 gallon & discus in a 30 gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

what does that even mean? i would never put fish in a tank thats to small for them so guess i cant help ya there

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I dunno about that, but there's plenty of people around who can tell you about tangs in a 30 gallon. :joker:

11. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Do you think your fish are happy?, they might look like it. But they are not. Don't be living in denial.

12. oceansurf

I will never feel badly about criticizm. I do feel badly if I was inhumane to my fish. I love them too much to think I was doing something to hurt them.

I belong to a discus club & they have assurred me that 2 discus in a 30 gallon was fine, but not to add more.

Now, I have only my fantail in my 10 gallon. I keep a close daily watch on my fish & I know when something is wrong. My fantail is not acting as usual so I imagine I will not have him much longer.

I surely do not wish to be inhumane so, can anyone give me an example of 2 or 3 fish that could be kept humanly in a 10 gallon show tank ?

Thanks for the feedback. I am not the least bit upset. That's what this site is all about.