Battling green (hair?) algae, tried many things but still no solution..

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Turtles, Jun 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Turtles

Turtles Astrea Snail

So I've been battling an outbreak of what I think is green hair algae. I've tried many different things to try and combat it, but nothing outside of just manually pulling out clumps of it has worked. It does grow very fast, to the point I'm pulling out close to a handful weekly.

I've worked with my local LFS with several recommendations. This is a 90g with a 29g refugium underneath. Light is 2x250w Metal Halides and 4xT5 Actinics. These run about 10-12 hours a day.

I have a tang and a foxface, neither of them will touch it. I've tried 3 different sea hares, one of which seemed to nibble at it a little, but didn't really touch it either. I've tested nitrates, phosphates, nitrites, etc. and all come out as zero. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there and could just be getting consumed by the algae. I have put a bag of phos-guard in the sump about 2 weeks ago, also didn't seem to make a difference.

This is a tank that I set up about 4 months ago, but moved everything (live rock, most of the water, corals, fish, etc. from a 40g that had been established for over 2 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh my......I'd probably start with cutting the light schedule down, maybe even do a lights out for 3 days or so......

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'd contact Jon at reef cleaners to help with the removal.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Looks like Bryopsis and some dictoyota to me.Did you try raising Magnesium level??

Mr. Bill and Pete polyp like this.
  6. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes, it looks like bryopsis to me too. From what I understand Kent tech m is the only magnesium supplement that will work on it.

mdbostwick and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I had the same deal going when I switched the 300 to a reef tank, plus bubble algae. I tried many things. The only thing that worked was lanthanum chloride. I have it on a dosing pump feeding straight into the skimmer pump. In two months, nearly all of the algae is gone, bryopsis AND bubble.

Pete polyp likes this.
  10. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nice!

11. Vinnyboombatz

Jerry's afraid of Emerald Crabs.:Do_O

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

So am I, with good reason. The juvies may like algae for a while, but they mature into killers IME. :eek::mad::p According to Charles Raabe, this is typical behavior for their species.