Battling Cyano....need help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reefchiver, Jan 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

Hello all,

I'm somewhat of a noob and have done a ton of research and after sifting through all of the conlficting advice for battling cyano i have narrowed it down to adding more powerful powerheads and redirecting flow and getting a diamond goby to help to keep the cyano from settling. All of my parameters are in check, use RO water for changes and top offs, feed frozen marine cuisine and mysis alternating days while trying to watch the amount, using a skimmer, and am still getting the cyano. The first pic is before upgrading the powerheads and goby, and the second pic is right after a water change, so it looks fine but eventually the cyano comes back. Does anyone have any other tips to battle this nasty stuff? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef reefchiver,

All sound like good interventions.

Are you rinsing your frozen food before you feed?
    Have you test phosphate levels?

Pictures are not showing up for me?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Can't view pics here, either.

If you're using RO only, you may still be introducing PO4. You need RO/DI or distilled water. Also, do you have your own filter, or are you buying the water?

The diamond goby is a poor choice, IMOPE. They are predators that feed on beneficial sandbed infauna and have a poor survival rate in captivity. Nassarius snails or fighting conchs would be much better for stirring and cleaning the sand.

What type(s) of filtration do you have on the tank? You might consider running GFO to help remove PO4.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

no pictures here either :( although if you're sure it's cyano, you've gotten great advice along with what you are doing.

6. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Need more flow. Try to add another power head lower in the tank.

You have more flow in the 55 by the looks of it.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I had am outbreak of cyano when my tank was about two months old. I reduced the photo period and drastically reduced feeding. It took about two weeks to go away. I have some returning a little near where my light is very intense over an sps I recently aquired. The sps is doing great but cyano is showing up around it. May have to adjust the light a bit.

10. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

11. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

When I had an outbreak of it, I ran a siphon from the tank into my sump through a filter sock and tried to remove as much as possible without losing water and that did the trick along with phosphate removing media.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

corners are tricky in terms of getting flow to all areas. Sounds like you have a lot of advice!