basement sump pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by pappy6104, Dec 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pappy6104

pappy6104 Plankton

Hi I'm new to 3reef and joined because I want to learn how to set up and keep a beautiful reef I just got a 110g drilled aquarium. I wanted to put a 55g tank as my sump but it will not fit under the stand with out cutting the stand. So I'm thinking of putting the sump in the basement. It would be a 11 ft vertical straight up no horizontal. Any ideas for a pump? Also the 55g is not drilled and I don't know if it's tempered glass to drill it. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome and a bump for those inclined to plumbing. Sounds like good beginnings, decent size to start with.

;)

4. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I would look at a external pump like the reeflo swordtail. At 11' of head pressure you should get about 1000+ gph which would put you close to 10 times turn over. The sword tail is about $300. I would still go with supplemental flow in the tank.

EDIT: Also, there are ways to minimize head and go with cheaper more efficient pumps, like raising your sump onto a bench or something. Not sure of your layout, but reducing head as possible is a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Corailline and chris adams like this.
  5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

FYI, your 55 gallon almost definitely has all tempered glass. Don't attempt to drill it unless you confirm it doesn't.

For a pump, I like to run around 5X flow through the tank, 10X through the sump. So I would be looking to get around 500-600GPH. A Jebao DC12000 should give you about 800 GPH at 11' head, which would be more than enough IMO.

Corailline likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I am looking into one of these pumps myself since mine just went out and i have 12.5' head as well.

Corailline likes this.
  7. pappy6104

pappy6104 Plankton

Thank you very much. I have a lot to think about now but a good place to start. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as soon as I start the set up.