Base Rock All The Way

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe, May 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

DRY base rock (only) will take quite a bit longer for you to start stocking your tank.....regardless, I'd give ReefCleaners first shot. You can't go wrong.
    I also like Bulk Reef Supply.

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

reefcleaners.org
    MarcoRocks.com
    bulkreefsupply.com

I believe Marco and reefcleaners have the same supplier.
    About 3/4th's of the rock in my tank is from MarcoRocks and I love it :)

4. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I am using majority base rock, and about 10% of that weight in LR. Its day 4-5 and I still have very little ammonia.

I'm wondering if I should up the ratio a little bit?

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Im not disagreeing with this at all. Your detail and knowledge of this probably is a little more extensive than mine. However In my case my statment holds truth. The pohnepei rock I have compared to my Fiji an another rock I have yet to identify the orgin. pohpei is lighter denser and much more pourus than the other mentioned.

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

How can a rock be lighter yet denser and more porous than another, especially when we are comparing pieces that are all calcium based.
    Lighter rock is lighter because it is less dense, and less dense means more porosity.

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

What is your point? dude. How can a lighter rock be less dense? is this what your asking me? My bad for making a redundant statment ray!.Dont get on here flexing ur mouscle with me Ray Jay, I have no problem admitting there are more knowledgable people than me on this issue. (as stated above) WHat I do kno about my Pohnpei Rock. as fact!! regaurdless of what you say. dont get on here trying to argue knowledge with a person thats not debating anything.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Lets get back to talking about rocks and helping the person get an answer, not hijacking threads.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Your statement was confusing, especially to somebody who may not know the difference between various types of rock. I don't think the response deserved the immediate aggressive response.

As to good places to get dry rock. I really liked bulkreefsupply.com. I've ordered from them many times and love their products. I've also ordered their rock and really liked it. I had a bad experience with Marco rocks, so personally, I would not order from them. I have not ordered rock from reefcleaners, but have only heard good things about their rock. I have ordered a CUC from them and they were great to deal with then.

11. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

What was confusing about my statement? other than the rudundance? My messege was simple. Denser rock takes up more space than rock that is less dense. The guy wanted to know why it was more benificial and I tried to explian it the best I could.

12. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My vote is for making your own rock. 4 parts oyster shell to 1 part portland cement. The rock is strong but very very light and super porous. Water goes right through the rock. And it only costs about 12 cents a pound to make. Not to mention you can make caves, tunnels, lace rock, whatever you want =)

Only down side is you'll need 6 weeks minimum to soak the PH out of the cement. All my rock in my tank is home made, but I plan on buying some good quality live rock to seed it with. I'm going to be making some more DIY rock soon. MAybe I'll start a thread.