Base of Montipora Digitata turning white

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cjrudy, Nov 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cjrudy

cjrudy Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't either , and as I said all my other SPS are doing great

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

Foxface are nippers, do you think she could be nipping at the mont?

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That's because when we look at a test result, we take it at face value. One number from one point in time. In this case, Ca was retested and it was really 420. What if it was really 340? IME, starting at 380 and going lower, the balance between Ca, alk and Mag are out of proportion, and that harms the corals.

5. barbianj

Well, that's because your Ca is actually 420, not 380. ;D Where did the error in the test come into play, any idea?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

that does not make sense, Sorry I don't need to start an argument but I can achieve balance in my water chemistry with a CA at 380 or even lower and have no issues with coral. I will not have growth but I will not have tissue loss

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i have seen when my nitrates go up, and more commonly when my KH starts to fall or is very unstable (which is always the case now!)

I agree with Jason, frag that puppy

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

No argument intended, we're all here for the same reason.

Even if you can't see it, calcium levels below 380 can cause corals to stress, and begin to die. Corals already stressed by other factors will show negative signs first. Minor problems become big problems. Maybe in your case, Jason, the only issue was low calcium. Maybe cjrudy was having trouble with pH and stable alk. When I see a request for help, and a number like 380 for calcium, or 7 dKh for alk, to me that's a red flag. If I see numbers like that in my own system, I take corrective action ASAP, and I would have to recommend the same to anyone else. A difference of 40 points between two tests would be cause for alarm itself.

Digitatas are a fairly fast growing coral. If yours seems to be spreading slowly, it's not getting what it needs. It's possible that the lower area is not getting enough light or flow. As your corals grow, you will need to increase the flow to keep everyone happy.

If all else fails, frag away!

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What about interruption of flow by growth.

I had this happen to me with 2 corals last year and I never figured it out nor was I able to save the corals by moving them. It started at the base just like that but mine were acropora.

I agree frag it since the piece is large, also have you tried looking at night with a flash light a couple times?

11. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I was going to say look at it at night also with a flashlight. I found a crab eating my sps not too long ago that looked kind of similar. At one point I thought it might be flat worms and treated with flat worm exit. Found a big dead nudribranch that I never new was in the tank. I caught the crab redhanded though. A fuzzy brown one.

12. cjrudy

cjrudy Coral Banded Shrimp

Thats definitely an interesting concept, the white part is actually a flat section that has encrusted the rock and there is so much growth around it, it may not be getting the same flow it once did.