Barnacles on the snails?

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by Mkizla, Jun 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Hey, I just got a 35 gallon worth of quick crew today. As always great job John, it looks great :)

I have a question though. I noticed like 3 of the large nerite snails have Barnacles growing on them? They seem to be alive too, which is cool!
    I can see them poking out their fan thing in and out of the barnacle shell thats growing on the nerite snails.

Will the barnacles grow on the tank? I think it will be pretty cool if they did.
    Any info about the barnacles would be nice thanks :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't had barnacles spread through my tank. I don't think the conditions are right. The spawn gets eaten or swept off into our filtration.

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1 ^ I have had clams settle, never barnacles though

5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

so will the barnacles on the snails shell eventually die? Will they live there, but just not reproduce?

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'm curious as well.My last order from reefcleaners was about a month ago and my nerites are loaded with them.I think there pretty cool,looks like a buncha freaky eyes blinking at ya.

7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

are they still alive? I wish they will stay alive :p

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

they stay alive at least 4 months. i am unsure the total lifespan of these species to be honest. they do okay though, I baste the rocks in my tank and kick up some of the dust that settles...I feel that helps at least although it isnt pretty scientific. I feed some smaller micron foods too

1 person likes this.
  10. grinder37

Mine are absolutely alive,always have there food catcher(scientific name;))popping in and out.I can also watch the bivalve opening and closing,hence the freaky blinkers.But i've heard they don't last too long,but i could be wrong.

11. grinder37

Thanks for the info John,appreciate it!