Bangai Cardinal is not eating?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Anldyxp, Apr 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

hi guys, I've had my Bangai Cardinal for 4 days now and he has not eaten. I'm feeding them Hikari Marine S pellets and frozen Mysis shrimp. My Damsel and Clown are so aggressive when it comes to eating, even my cleaner shrimp is. They swarm the food when i put it in. But the cardinal doesn't try to eat any of it. Even when I used the turkey baster thing and shot it right in front of him. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you confirm that it was accepting prepared foods at the store?

4. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Actually I didn't. What else would they eat? I did my reading before buying it so it should be eating what I'm giving it. Thanks

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Or at least call them up to find out what they were feeding it.

I just bought four little ones, and they took to the Nutramar Ova after a few days. They were a little shy at first, but now they eat it right out of the feeding tube. So far, they have shown no interest in flake, mysis or NLS, but they do find a lot of pods.

6. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thanks. I'll call the lfs tomorrow to confirm. I even tried feeding it 2 hours after lights out.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My Bangai took a couple weeks to acclimate, hid in the rocks and did not really eat in that time. They love mysis now though. Give it a bit of time.

8. Click Here!

9. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thank you. Will do!

10. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

*update* My bangai croaked today =[. yesterday I saw him bobbing around when he was swimming, and he kept getting blown around by the power heads. Later I noticed that he got stuck on one of the power heads, so i put him in a specimen container and hung it inside the tank to try to feed it(it didn't eat). I was planning on keeping it in the specimen container for a few days but didn't know if that would make it worse. So I released it back into the main tank. This morning it was stuck on the intake tube of a filter. blah. I will be trying another later this week.

11. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

Im sorry, that really sucks! You could also try to soak the food in garlic extract to entice them to eat

12. milkman

milkman Plankton

Failure to acclimate and feed is a real problem with wild collected bangaii. I have lost so many that I will only buy tank raised. They sell the wild collected so cheap everyone is attracted to them only to be disappointed when they die. My oldest tank raised bangaii is over 2 1/2 years old and eats great.