Bamboo Shark Egg

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Ryland1, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland1

Ryland1 Astrea Snail

Hi All,

I have been doing some homework and I have gotten a Bamboo Shark egg. I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with hatching one of these and /or raising them. I currently have the egg residing in my 125 gallon tank. The egg is on a veggie clip on the side of the tank in a good amount of flow. Has anyone that has hatched one out done this differently? I would like to hear from your experiences.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland1

Ryland1 Astrea Snail

4. BC_Reefer

BC_Reefer Guest

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I know nothing about them but this here should help!

Shark Egg FAQs

6. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Have any plans for it when it hatches? they get pretty big don't they?

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

imo its best to put in the extra few bucks and just buy a live one, i hear the eggs usually have only a 30 percent hatch rate. and you have to have impeccable water condition. also when it does hatch you should probably upgrade to at least a 200 gallon tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland1

Ryland1 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the input! I agree that buying a shark would probably be easier in the long run, but I thought my daughter would enjoy watching the shark grow inside the egg and hopefully watch it hatch out. I'm starting to get her interested in this hobby and at the age of 11 she already has certain fish she likes and thinks we should get. After all, don't we want to pass this reef addiction on to future generations.

I have two options for dealing with the shark after it has hatched. First, is to get a bigger tank - just the excuse I need. Second, is to sel it back to the fish store I got it from - I have already spoken with the owner about it and he would love to have it back.

The shark seems to be very lively right now in his egg and no problems so far.

10. Jva

Jva Astrea Snail

How developed is it right now? And what is the species of the shark? There are several species of Bamboo Sharks.

11. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I think you should up grade :) hope it hatches for ya something I always wanted to buy since I got into the hobby. Some day maybe I will have sharks. BTW none of this really happened unless you can prove it with pictures.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have hatched a few.

Even though it may look fully formed I have heard of people trying to assist in the hatching, do not do that. When they are ready they pop out in no time at all.

A very active swimmer, too active for me. Mine always constantly swam in the upper levels of the tanks and next to over flows.

While I thought the whole process was very cool I always re-homed them to larger tanks in a month or two because of their swimming patterns and habit of hanging out near over flows and spill gates.